Schilke Sterling Silver Bells!!!

Discussion in 'Horns' started by DrunkIQ, Feb 10, 2004.

1. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    They are here!

Schilke can make this bell in any size (#1, #2, #3, etc). They currently even have one on a P5-4 (#8 bell).

I believe the Schilke Sterling silver bells are very light comparied to the norm of silver bells on the market today. Although they have not created enough of them to give an accurate weight, they are estimated to be in the 10.5oz - 12oz range.

These bells are electo-formed like the current beryllium bronze bells and are seamless one-piece bells.

Current estimated prices are:
    Additional Fixed Bell in Seamless Silver: $675
    Additional Tuning Bell in Seamless Silver: $775

The description given reads as follows:

“Sterling Silver Bells are virtually pure silver, which offers a broad spectrum of overtones. This new bell option, although delicate, creates a rich and vibrant tone.â€

I bet these sing with little effort - If you have tried one than post some info here. Hopefully I will get to try these out this week.

-marc

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I was thinking about looking into a good classical horn, Ive got my all around and my jazz horn, but I think something for just classical might suit me, is this something I should look into or is this not a classical thing?

P.s If/when I start looking at classical horns schilke is def at the top of my list already, I'm just wondering about this particular bell.

3. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    I wonder how different this bell is from the "beryllium" one....it's hard to imagine a lighter, more responsive bell than that.

The silver's a bit heavier, right?

4. WFUnix

WFUnix New Friend

Dec 8, 2003
    Is that estimated price "suggested retail" or actual price from a dealer?

5. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    This is the suggested retail price of the bell.

The bell is the heaviest they have ever produced.

They put one on a P5-4 for the last two conventions they had and said that they are receiving rave reviews!

At the last convention they had a S22C, P5-4 and a B1-L with this bell.

I suggest you visit the shop or head to a convention near you to play on one.

A list of conventions that Schilke will be attending can be found here:

http://www.schilkemusic.com/ClinicsAndEvents.html

-marc

6. theoldmaz

theoldmaz New Friend

Jan 30, 2004
    Oak Park, Illinois
    Please proofread your posts before they become written in the stone of Schilke Forum information. Your spelling and syntax leave me scratching my head sometimes, and I know what you're talking about! Think of all the poor "unwashed masses" who have no idea what to make of this stuff.

7. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Sorry about that, I must have been falling asleep at the wheel.

8. Bob Odneal

Bob Odneal Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Silver Bells

I have one of the first silver bells. It really makes my B6-L slot great and it has a great core to the sound while having great projecting power. It is heavier than beryllium, but not as heavy as brass because they are thinner than any other silver bell I have seen. Everyone comments on the rich overtone and purity of the sound.

I have a med. large brass bell and a large gold plated beryllium bell for sale on my web site.

9. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Bob, can you explain a bit about the process of getting your bell fitted?

Also--how much are you selling your other bells for?

10. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    Bob, how do the high overtones compare between the brass bell and the sterling bell. Also, which has the richest palette of overtones (more complex sound)?

Dave