Schilke Symphony model mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Bartok, Nov 30, 2003.

1. Bartok

Bartok New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    For those who are curious.....

I've been using the new Schilke Symphony model mouthpiece (model M2) and it's really fantastic!

The M2 is similar to a Bach 1 1/2C. It has a 24 throat and a half schmidt bb.

It's a bit more rounded at the rim compared to a bach 1 1/2C or a Laskey 70c. Feels similar to a 1 1/4 rim but a bit smaller.

2. romey1

romey1 Banned

Oct 25, 2003
    out

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Forte User

Oct 21, 2003
    I had a chance to try the Schilke Symphony M2 and it is nice. I think it seems to have a bit of a deeper cup and more bowl shaped than the Bach 1 1/4 I play on. Could be wrong?

Has anyone tried any of the other models? I think there are 3

TM

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    i have tried thge M-1, and it gave me a huge sound, but it is too big for the kind of work I am doing these days. I am waiting for Dillon to send me an M-2

Mike

5. E3L-4

E3L-4 New Friend

Nov 30, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Schilke "Symphony Series" Custom Mouthpieces

Hello to all that post at the Master...

Re: Schilke "Symphony Series" Custom Trumpet mouthpieces

The Symphony Series custom line was created the same way our standard Schilke line was created. Our standard mouthpiece line was developed working “one on one†in consultation and experimentation with the professional musician over the past 50 years. As the demand for certain models increased, the tooling was created to manufacture these models in greater quantity. This custom series has developed in the same fashion with the appeal focused on the “legit†or orchestral player. These models are hand cut, one at a time. Resistance variables (throat, backbore, ect.) can be adjusted to meet a specific player’s criteria.

These models are on the larger side of the mouthpiece spectrum creating a deep, vibrant sound with a well-focused center. They are offered with a standard cup depth or a deep bowl shaped cup. The mouthpiece affectionately known as the “fluffy†has a flugel style cup and trumpet stem with the same rim contour and feel as the other models in this series. This has been a very popular custom choice for quieter passages where a cornet sound is desired without losing the control and focus of the sound. This series can be made in a two-piece set up adaptable to any rim.

The symphony series fit into our standard line as an option more conducive to “legit†performance. The cups of the M1, M2, and M3 are shallower 'C' cups because players have said our standard 'C' cups were too deep for the orchestral player. The cups on the D1, D2, and D3 are deeper bowl shape cups for players needing more depth in their sound, but not too deep for lack of control. The throats on the ‘M’s are a 24, and the throats on the ‘D’s are a 25. The backbore on the ‘M's is an Schmitt style backbore for a full sound to balance the shallower cups. The ‘D’ cups have a smaller version of the Schmitt backbore, tighter to balance the deeper cup. Players in need of a quiet, mellow sound but not projection utilize the ‘F’ cup mouthpieces. This has been popular for Schumann, Beethoven, anything that requires trumpet, but not in a predominate role. Also popular for solos like Wagner’s Parsifal, Mahler Post horn. You can play at your full capacity, but the sound will be dark and mellow.

Model Diameter Comparison Cup Shape

M1 Mt. Vernon 1C, Schilke 19 Standard Depth
    D1 Mt. Vernon 1C, Schilke 19 Deep Bowl
    F1 Mt. Vernon 1C, Schilke 19 Flugel Style
    M2 1 1/2C, Schilke 17 or 16C4 Standard Depth
    D2 1 1/2C, Schilke 17 or 16C4 Deep Bowl
    F2 1 1/2C, Schilke 17 or 16C4 Flugel Style
    M3 3C, Schilke 15, 14 Standard Depth
    D3 3C, Schilke 15, 14 Deep Bowl
    F3 3C, Schilke 15, 14 Flugel Style

The comparisons are general. This is not an attempt to copy or improve upon an existing mouthpiece but the merging of two cultures. These are comfortable rim shapes that provide a nice clarity in attack. We have worked directly with several TM posters over the past several months on these designs including Romey1. Please feel free to contact either Karl or myself directly at the Schilke factory regarding this new custom series. We do appreciate this open forum and your interest in our work.

Best Regards,
    Phil Baughman
    Sales Manager
    [email protected]

Karl Hammond
    Custom Brass Mouthpieces
    [email protected]

Schilke Music Products, Inc.
    ph: +708-343-8858
    fax: +708-343-8912
    http://www.SchilkeMusic.com