Schilke Trumpet World Tour and Review?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    They might not have it on their website but I'm sure that if you placed an order they'd be happy to build one.

2. SchilkeFan

SchilkeFan New Friend

Nov 27, 2003
    Hey Patrick,

I'm glad you like the B6. I once had an opportunity to buy a used B6L which also came with an additional large beryllium bell. The guy wanted $900 or $1,000 for it, but it was older and needed about $400 worth of work by Charlie Melk. The serial number on the horn was within 50 of Bill Chase's B6Lb, so it was definitely a vintage horn. Ironically, the horn sold on ebay in October 2001 for insane dollars ($1,517 :woop: ), and only included the medium large bell. (It's not that I'm anal retentive, I had to research the actual sales date and price via the Schilke Loyalist website!)

As far as a Schilke horn tour is concerned, I merely walk downstairs to my basement. I have a 1974 X3L with both brass and beryllium bells, a 1982 gold plated B3Lb, and a 1984 B1 which has been modified with a GR Technologies leadpipe. The B3Lb was my main axe for 10 years, until I latched onto the X3L. I picked up the B1 for a song off of ebay, so I decided to add it to the arsenal.

Guess that pretty much explains my username!

Jhn MacGregor
    Waukesha, WI

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That sounds like a really nice collection. I'll keep my eyes open and if I can find ANY other Schilkes out there for a good deal, I'll scoop on them. Especially if they are older and look like they need some work because the price will be much lower, but it won't affect the overall quality of what the horn is.

4. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Patrick, I definitely think of Schilkes as custom horns. Between bores, bell sizes, weights, and materials, body weights, etc., you can really order what you want.

I've had a B5, a B1Lb, and now an S22. I loved them all and they are all quite different. The S22 is one killer horn for jazz, salsa, commercial stuff....can be insanely loud and big with a solid core and none of the slight insecurity I used to feel with the B1Lb, esp. tricky stuff in the upper register. Or it can play whisper-quiet easily and sound very "dark."

Valves, slides, and overall fit and finish cannot be beat. I've played "boutique" horns costing a grand more than a Schilke and was dismayed at the slide action, solder, braces, etc.

SchilkeFan, I don't think that $1500 for a vintage Schilke is insane at all. Schilkes hold their value incredibly well...take good care of one and you can Ebay it years later for a huge percentage of the original price.

My only advice to Schilke owners is...get a PVA! every Schilke I've played has benefitted from the procedure.

5. SchilkeFan

SchilkeFan New Friend

Nov 27, 2003
    Hey pangaea,

My "insane" remark was simply relative to the condition of the horn at the time of sale. Both the seller and I know Charlie Melk, and back in 2001 I took the horn to him and he estimated the total value of the horn, both bells, single Schilke case, and case cover to be between $600 and $900. I still have the letter with his "appraisal", as well as estimates for what work needed to be done to the horn. The horn needed a new leadpipe due to redrot, as well as some valve work and a replate job. Had I been more in the market for a B6, I might have undertaken the project. I was more interested in the horn for the extra bells it would provide me.

As a point of reference, I bought my X3L for $1,400 in 2002. Though it lacked a case, it came with both brass and beryllium bells and a Reeves alignment. It was as mint as a 1974 vintage horn could possibly be.

I concur 110% with your assessment of Schilke horns as well as PVA's. My B3Lb was done by Wayne Tanabe and played much better as a result of same! I'm glad to see that there are other players out there who realize how great Schilke horns are...

John MacGregor
    Waukesha, WI

6. pangaea

pangaea Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Charlie Melk is the MAN.

Wow....at $600, even w/ the work needed, that still sounds like a bargain.

How do you like your X3L? that sounds like a steal too....nice. Must be VERY freeblowing...I dig my S22 but would love to try a lightweight L-bore Schilke someday.

The only less-than-perfect Schile I'v ever had was my first--a new B5 in 1982. It eventually revealed itself to be yamalloy cursed....but it was still great and I played a hell of a lot of gigs on it.

7. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I love Schilkes and came this close to buying a B1-L not long ago. However, I'd like to mention that lovers of Schilke owe it to themselves to try the Selmer Paris Concept TT and 80J. Many, many will still prefer the Schilkes, but some will prefer the Selmers. There's a certain "organic" quality in both makes that makes them seem related to me.

Dave

8. SchilkeFan

SchilkeFan New Friend

Nov 27, 2003

Yeah, at $600 I was going to be all over that horn...problem is the seller wanted $900 or better. In hindsight, that was still a bargain for a vintage Schilke, however, I couldn't see putting all the extra money into it to have Charlie perform his magic just to get it to where I wanted it. Particularly when it wasn't going to have the original leadpipe when everything was said and done.

My X3L is a great instrument. It has a very warm sound in the staff and absolutely lights up when you turn on the gas. I always liked my B3Lb for the rock band that I play in, as it has a very commercial sound to it. The problem is that, with a beryllium bell, it was somewhat one dimensional, and never blended well with Bach horns in a church gig. I picked up the X3L and, after I got used to it, my problem was solved. I may eventually sell my other horns, but I will never part with this one. The valves are like lightning and it has had a Reeves alignment. My only complaint is that it doesn't play itself...I'm the one cuffing notes :D

As far as the blow is concerned, I don't think it is all that taxing. I played trombone in a former life, and it isn't anywhere near as demanding as far as air support is concerned. I still have the Superbone I bought in high school and can't believe how heavy that bad boy is to play on a gig. Perhaps I was in better shape back in the day! Anyhoo, I always tell my wife that I switched back to trumpet in 1988 because "the trumpet players get the chicks". Come to think of it, how many trombonists do you know who have cute girlfriends???

John MacGregor
    Waukesha, WI

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    NONE! :lol: And I'm not joking.