Schilke Trumpets

Discussion in 'Horns' started by NYTC, Feb 14, 2005.

1. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    I would really like to hear your opinions on Schilke trumpets. I am really interested in any and all great horns out there. Let's all share our experiences.

Felix
    :grouphug:

2. gordygourmet

gordygourmet New Friend

Sep 30, 2004
    St. Cloud
    I had a Callet Symphonique C for about 6 months. Nice horn, played in tune decently enough. I just couldn't get the sound I wanted on it. Overall the horn was very nice. The upper register was a little tight for me. I had a friend play it, and he loved the upper register on it. Like I said, I had no real complaints, I just didn't sound like I wanted to on it. So, I sold it. Story of my life......

Patrick

3. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    haha, wrong thread, Patrick...

I'm gonna start things off on a negative note. I got to try the Schilke line at ITG Denver. The valves were nice, and the horns felt ok, but one thing was constant- STUFFY. My gosh, I just couldn't get the kind of feel I wanted, and that included an X3 (someone else was always playing the X4). I dunno why this happened to me, everyone tells me that they are very open horns. But, that was my experience.

Then again, there's only been two horns that I thought were more than open enough- the WT and Selmer Paris' Concept TT.

4. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Have you played a B1?

5. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Best as I recall it was a B6, a B3, and maybe a B1, and then I played an S32 and an S42, along with the X3. All of them felt stuffy.

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I had a chance to purchase a Schilke. In fact, I went looking for the chance to buy one. I'd been playing a (poor) Bach 180ML37 and was looking for something that I could get that a) had a reputation for being ultra consistent, b) that was flexible enough to use both in community band section as well as solo IN ADDITION to any other place that I might be called to play (I don't expect to ever get invited to play symphonic!).

A shop that I found locally (300 miles is considred "local" out here) who were willing to order one for me happened to decide to bring in 4 different models of Schilke "on spec".... they had been supplying their local pic market with Schilke (they also deal with B & S). So I got to try an X3, B1, B5 and S32 fresh out of the factory wrapping.

All four models were very consistent in fit, finish, and feel. Their balance was really great and the quality exceptional. Once we got my tuning issue sorted out (they play obviously quite different from a Strad and I needed to adjust to their "open" characteristic) they were all VERY accurate with intonation.

I had trouble keeping the X3 in tune... just too much (or too sudden) of a switch from my Strad (which I had with me for comparison). I found the B5 and S32 to be nice but they didn't have "the sound" that I was used to hearing from the Bach.... they seemed much lighter in tone. The B1 was much closer (or bigger) in sound but was still easy to play. It became my "only" horn until I won 2nd prize in last year's Eclipse contest.

Our Community Band is making a road trip at the end of February and I was hesitant about risking the Eclipse on the bus. I still had been practicing at home every once in a while on the Schilke and the sound seemed really close to the Eclipse so I decided I'd "sacrifice" the B1. Well, I took it to band last week to help get more used to it and in a larger room it was so much brighter than the MR in sound that I honestly wasn't sure I was on the right notes most of the time! It must be a reflection (pun?) of the room but I guess I was hearing a higher proportion of "back resonance" than at home. (I refer to "back resonance" as the component of sound the player gets that resonates off the back side of the bell). In a smaller room the reflection of the core sound (what comes "OUT" the bell) is more immediate and thus, stronger which makes the difference less noticeable.

The difference was so great that I made the decision to take the Eclipse on the bus....I'll have to trust the Torpedo Bag to keep the nasties away from the horn. The tuning on both horns (and you sell Eclipse so you know how precise they are) is VERY similar... I don't adjust any different when I switch back and forth. The valves are virtually identical in feel and valve stroke (they differ by 0.5 mm).

I am still keeping the Schilke for a "backup" horn but will probably only be using it "to keep it exercised", for trumpet choir things, and solo stuff. Perhaps if my son stays at trumpet and continues to develop his playing he may "inherit" but that's a big "perhaps".

You can't go wrong with Schilke quality, consistency, and factory support. They really are the "bargain horn" of the "custom makers". (Although I'd love to try a Lawler!)

7. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    I have owned a B1 with a reversed leadpipe for a while.
    One of the best horns i have ever played.
    I have to say that i did not care much for the other models.
    I have played a few fine horns in my life,but B1 i really liked

8. NYTC

NYTC Forte User

Nov 1, 2004
    Brooklyn,NY
    Toots,want to trade? :-)

9. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    The B1 is my favorite Schilke. A couple of years ago I played Tommy Loy's (RIP old friend) old B1 from the '60s and fell in love with it. He'd had it since new, then left it in a Texas attic for years, then started using it again, had it replated in gold, etc., etc. The end result was a "magic" trumpet. A few weeks later I started searching for a similar B1 and tried a new one at ITG and a couple of privately owned examples. The only ones that came close to Tommy's were B1-Ls. SO, I was thinking of ordering a gold plated B1-L when I stumbled onto the Concept TT, which had the same magic I'd felt in Tommy's horn, but with some differences also.

Anyway, you see what I'm playing now. Still, I'd trade in a minute for Tommy's B1 (that'll never happen, I'm certain) and I still count the Schilke B1 was one of the all time great horn models. Yes, it's more brilliant than a Bach (and certainly more brilliant than an almost copper Eclipse) but isn't that what trumpet is all about? Schilke was (is) a great builder.

Dave

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Naaa... you've got enough Eclipses! :D