Schilke vs Calicchio

Discussion in 'Horns' started by JAM393, Sep 25, 2005.

1. JAM393

JAM393 New Friend

Sep 25, 2005
    Saint Louis, Missouri
    Okay, I am interested in buying a new horn. I like the Calicchio 1s2. How would that horn compare to a Schilke. I am interested in a good all around solid horn. If anyone can let me know about the overall quality and workmanship of both horns that would be great. I have a history with the Bach LT180. Looking for something new and exciting.

2. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    When I was in the market for a new horn last year I looked pretty deep into Callichio. They do have some very solid horns, but now, and the last couple years or so I think they are most running their business with the reputation they've had in the past. The main builder for the company is getting well, older, and they arn't really putting out the same quality they've had in the past, and they arn't produceing enought horns to keep up with the demand they have. When I checked last year I was told the waiting list for a new horn was about a year and half, and there was no guarentee that I'd end up with a horn a year and half later.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the Callichio company or anything, I've played their horns many times and I absoulutly love them, but they just arn't what they used to be. I was told that if I wanted a Callichio I'd be better off looking for one made in the 50's or 60's when they were at their prime.

If your looking for an "all around" horn, I'm afraid the Callichio is probably not best suited for you. The thing that made Callichio so popular back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's is that they recorded very well, very litle sound got lost in recordings. Thats why many trumpeters on TV would use them alot (like in the theme song to "I Love Lucy") They recorded very well. They are also known for being a very loud horn. If you wanted something for Big Band, or if you doing alot with recordings and what not it might be worth your time to look at some of the older Callichios, but it seems like your looking for something that works great in all playing situations.

As for Schilke, I don't really know. I've heard of them being very similar to Bachs but I don't really know much about them, I'm sure someone here does though.

Good Luck in your search for the perfect horn for you.

-David

3. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    a few months ago, a tulsa band store had some calicchios in stock. i know nothing about the wait for a new axe though. the e-mails i've exchanged with the company have always been rapid and forthright.
    i'm sure they'll tell you if there is a long wait. i have never played one, but have considered it for awhile.

i've never thought schilkes were similar to bachs. i've had (have) both and enjoy the differences.

dj

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    David, you might be thinking of the 'S' series Schilkes. Of the Schilkes that I have played, none of them have been anything like a Bach. Especially not my Schilke B6.

I find my Schilke to be much more lively than any Bach I have ever played. Here is what I can say is better about my Schilke:

intonation
    eveness of blow
    response
    focus
    upper register
    Lighter, faster valves

In virtually every way, I feel that my Schilke is a superior horn than any Bach that I have owned. I am more accurate, I have better endurance and I feel that it has a better sound.

There are MANY who prefer Bachs to Schilkes, but I don't think I'll ever go back.

If you are looking for a nice blowing, brilliant sounding trumpet, here are the Schilke models I would look at:

B1 - Designated ML (460?) w/Large yellow brass bell
    B5 - Designated ML (460?) w/Medium (copper) bell
    B6 - Designated M (450) step bore w/Medium copper bell (same bell as B5)
    B7 - Designated ML (450 - same as B6) w/Large yellow brass bell
    X3 - Not sure about the specs on this one, although I do believe that it has the Large yellow brass bell

I could be wrong, but I also believe that all of the Schilke B series horns are step bore at some point or other. Also, something to note about Schilke bells, I believe they are all 5" at the bead - the M, ML or L when referring to a Schilke bell refers to the flare and taper, and not the outer diameter.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    We're all getting older. Only a year or two back, John Duda (ex of Tulsa Band Instruments) purchased Callichio. At the time it was said that he was making great strides in bringing the quality back to Callichio. Having said that, there has been little posted about on them in recent months.

Anybody know anything more recent?

TrickG's comments on Schilke are ones that I also agree with... going from Bach (one of the "not-so-good" ones) to a B1. When I was ordering my Eclipse I told Leigh that I wanted "a solid sound, kind of like a Bach but with a low impedence and precise intonation with easy flexibility like a Schilke. He delivered.

6. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dave, nice post! That matches what I had heard about the recent goings on at Calicchio, but since most of what I "know" is little better than hearsay, I decided to relate the little that I think I know about Schilkes (my newest axe of choice) instead. Due to the fact that I own one and play on one, it gives me a little bit of firsthand perspective on their playing characteristics and construction.

Again, good post - of the rumors that I have heard about Calicchio recently, everything has been good, and I've heard they are indeed producing some enviable instruments.

8. londonhusker

londonhusker Guest

deleted

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2007
  9. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Wow... Thats very interesting.

First of, let me just say that I wasn't offended one bit by your post, in fact, I'd actualy like to thank you for correcting me.

After reading your post I look into i bit more details about what I had wrong and realized that you are right. It turns out that I was given very missleading information by a dealer that I thought seemed like he had his stuff together (we've done alot of buisness with him and he seemed to be a pretty good guy). But now that I looked into it more, I'm led to belive that I was just given a typical salesmen's line so that I would buy his horn over someone elses. Makes me glad I went with the Kanstul over the F. Besson he was trying to sell me...

So now that I found out I was wrong, I would like to appoligize to everyone who read that post. I shouldn't have posted it since I didn't know of it first hand, but I honeslty thought I could trust the man who told me this information. I guess I've learned that you can't always trust a man whos job is to try to get your money...

Now I'm dissapointed, where am I going to buy polishing cloths and valve oil from, that was the only music story in the area I really liked... haha.

10. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Umm... didn't Kanstul make the F. Besson line? :) (unless it had "made in France" stamped on it)