Schilke Water Key Cork

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by seilogramp, Feb 14, 2016.

1. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Looking to replace the water key cork (rubber) on my Schilke (1971). Apparently they changed their style from my image below.

[​IMG]

The closest I can find is a Yamaha water key cork on eBay. Is this essentially the same thing? Since Renold Schilke was a Yamaha consultant, maybe it is identical?

Thanks!

2. MusicianOfTheNight

MusicianOfTheNight Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2016
    New York/Austria
    Why do you need a new one? They look fine to me.

3. MusicianOfTheNight

Jan 24, 2016
    New York/Austria
    If you are feeling DIYish you could use a pocket knife to carve something similar out of cork.

Otherwise just buy a regular cork, the long nipplelike things look useless.

4. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    I don't think Schilke does things for no reason. Apparently the advantage is that there is less disruption of air flow thru the tubing. Same reason for the tunable bell and no 3rd valve slide water key.

5. MusicianOfTheNight

Jan 24, 2016
    New York/Austria
    Very good point, but why does no other trumpet have these?

6. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    Because all other trumpets are trash! ;-) Just kidding. I was actually thinking of that too. Reading up on the history and Schilke philosophy of trumpet design, this probably comes from Schilke's desire to make the perfect trumpet. This is regardless of how much difference it makes in sound. His trumpet designs were/are very minimalist. There is nothing on my Schilke that is "extra." Tunable bell, no 3rd valve slide water key, no engraving anywhere, only a small S/N and logo on the 2nd valve. If he thought it was not going to make the horn sound better, then it would not be on the horn. I suspect that other manufactures would say this is over the top, OCD, or what have you. "Come on Ren! Does it really matter?" To Ren Schilke I guess it did matter. In reality, maybe not, since the new Schilkes don't have a water key like this.

An interesting read if you have a hour or so to kill - The Schilke Loyalist

7. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    Several other trumpets use neoprene water key seals, they even use neoprene seals with the small nipple--in fact I've seen a couple of TSO with neoprene seals, with and without nipples. Never cared for them after one of the nipples tore off and blocked the valve during a performance. Spent all night draining the horn through the lead pipe--what a pain. Anyway you can get the current replacements through Mouthpiece Express. I'm have no idea what the 71 vintage Schilkes were equipped with, but I'm pretty sure the earlier once came with actual corks in the water keys.

8. seilogramp

seilogramp Piano User

Nov 23, 2009
    Georgia, USA
    See photo above. That's my '71 Schilke, with original "nipple cork."
    Also, I ordered from Mouthpiece express. They sent the standard nipple-less corks.
    [​IMG]

I don't see that they have any with nipples. However, I did find them on eBay as mentioned in my first post.

9. MusicianOfTheNight

Jan 24, 2016
    New York/Austria
    I have neoprene water key pads on both my trumpet and cornet. I prefer cork. The neoprene seems to absorb a lot of water, whereas the cork does not.

10. MusicianOfTheNight

Jan 24, 2016
    New York/Austria
    I guess that is why Schilke is one of the top brands!;-)