Schilke Water Key Cork

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by seilogramp, Feb 14, 2016.

1. MusicianOfTheNight

MusicianOfTheNight Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2016
    New York/Austria
    Sorry to disappoint you, but wood working is one my my favorite hobbies. Possibly more than music. I do quite a bit of turning, and have just started carving. So far I have made many pens, letter openers, bowls, and vases. However I have never tried to use cork. Cork is a type of bark. Bark is carvable, but very difficult due to the crazy grain. If I had access to cork trees I would have already tried!
    As for using sandpaper, you would be sitting there forever sanding. If you rough out the cork with a small knife, then sand it will be much faster. Next fine tune it to fit perfectly in the hole. Sound like a lot of work? Probably, but if you want something and can't find it, it might be best to do it on your own-or at least try. It might actually work.

If you want pictures to prove all this, just ask. But I have no idea on how to post them.

2. MusicianOfTheNight

MusicianOfTheNight Pianissimo User

Jan 24, 2016
    New York/Austria
  3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You completely missed the point. Mountains/molehills?

The point, which you clearly didn't get, is that the easiest thing to do is to make sure that there is a cork - period. It doesn't matter if it has a nipple or not, and it doesn't matter if it's made of real cork, rubber or neoprene. If people spent the kind of time in focused practice as they do picking gnat turds out of pepper when it comes to things like this thread, there'd be a lot more solid players out there. You're getting far too wrapped around the axle on something that I seriously doubt you'd be able to discern in actual practice wearing a blindfold.