schilke

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by davidjohnson, Sep 15, 2004.

1. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    comrades:

i've played mostly bach mpc's, with the occasional stork, giardinelli, etc.

i don't understand my schilke 17. the company site proclaims it as 'medium' in all chacteristics. i can't focus a tone with it very well...pitch slides too much...it's mostly uncontrolled. what fundamental have i overlooked?

dj

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    The fundamental that says the Schilke 17 isn't necessarily a good fit for YOU on YOUR HORN!

I tried a Schilke mp on a Schilke horn and absolutely HATED IT! Not to say that Schilke makes a bad mouthpiece, just that it didn't work for me. Who cares why? I don't... I went out and found one that does work. Good thing there are lots of mouthpiece makers with lots of mouthpieces for sale, eh? :)

3. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    yeah, i know that...it just seems like it should work. fits the horn (schilke) fine. i've never slid pitches around so much before. that doesn't happen to me with a 1, 1c or a 3c.

dj

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I believe shilkes rim is more rounded than the bach, they may have something to do with your sliding pitches, however it is not as round as your average stork, so it is a brain teaser.