Schiller Bass Trumpet Review

Discussion in 'Horns' started by euphmaster, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Carlw

Carlw New Friend

Aug 5, 2009
    Toronto
    My god this too surreal!! I played a soprano (2-valved tumpet keyed in G) for years in the 70's, quit then just got back into playing with a Sonare Bb trumpet. I've been playing with embouchure settings, mothpieces and generally trying to enhance my technique from the 70s.

At the same time, I kept hearing this voice that I should play trombone. I thought it was because one of my buds is a pro trombone player, but also because I was getting tired of trying to be a screamer again, trying different MPs, but always that voice.

Then today I find my way into Nick Drozdoff's site where he has different demo videos of technique etc. Then I get to one where he demos a bass trumpet. I say what the heck is that, I've never seen nor heard of one, then he proceeds to play it with a Yamaha trombone mp. It sounded like a barihorn (cross between a baritone/trombone and a french horn). I fell in love and realized it was a synchronicity, that I saw the link to his site and saw the video, like the answer to the voice.

I did some research (which also led me here) and apparently it can be substituted, if need be as a valve trombone, depending on the music. What I also like is playing in treble clef and not having to learn slide positions or converting to bass clef.

Thanks for the post euphmaster.

2. billC

billC New Friend

Feb 28, 2009
    I also recently purchased an inexpensive bass trumpet via ebay. Reading
    this thread got me curious, so I checked Schiller's website and discovered
    that the horn the OP bought from Schiller is the very same horn I bought
    from those wild 'n crazy, spelling and grammar deficient dudes at Berkeleywind! Their usual buy it now price for this horn is $650, but I got
    mine from an auction listing for $325 plus $25 shipping. Checking further,
    I found the same horn being sold by USA Music Supply under the brand
    name E.F. Durand. USA's description claims the horn is "French Engineered", but I'm assuming it's made in China or some other Asian
    country. They have a buy it now price of $379 for theirs, it comes in either nickel plate or laquered brass. Mine is laquer. Having said this,
    it's time for my own review.
    For $325, I wasn't expecting a Bach or a Getzen, but when I opened
    the soft case and took it out, I was impressed. Build quality looked
    good, the finish was evenly applied, and the slides and valves worked
    well right out of the case. Overall, a solidly built horn. Like the OP said,
    a lot of water collects at the 3rd valve pipe; pulling the slide gets most
    of it, and rolling the rest out the bell gets what remains. The valves are
    smooth, but frequent oiling is needed to keep 'em that way. The
    mouthpiece receiver on mine accepts the generic 12C that came with
    the horn, as well as a Bach 12C, with no wobbling; solid fit without
    really having to ram it in. Mine came in a fabric covered case, with a
    small storage compartment inside, and a full length zippered pocket on
    the outside that would be suitable for storing sheet music.
    As far as playing goes, I noticed the same low C# and D intonation
    issues on mine, but the middle Bb sounds fine, as does the rest of the
    middle and upper register. I can sail right up to a high D or E pretty
    easily on it, with pretty even volume all the way. As far as the overall
    tone goes, as the OP described it, it's pretty beefy. I also have a
    Palatino valve bone, and the sound on the bass t is, in general, more
    focused and slightly "harder" compared to the bone's more open and
    mellower sound, but I'm sure the bore and bell size differences
    contribute to this.
    I'm a comeback trumpet player after a 10 year layoff, and trumpet is
    my main focus, but I've also had a couple of other valve bones in the
    past as well. I also have checked out Nick D's bass trumpet demo, and
    really liked the sound of it. I don't have any gigs at this point, still
    working to get my chops back up, but I could imagine the bass t sounding
    good in a church service type gig. I also like playing it for about 10-15
    minutes in the low and middle register after a trumpet practice session;
    my chops feel pretty good afterwards, like I've just done 10-15 minutes
    of flappies, but at the same time, I'm aquiring some facility on another
    instrument. At some point I'd like to upgrade to a good used bass t by
    Bach or Getzen, but for now, overall, I'm happy with my Berkeley/Schiller/
    E.F.Durand horn, and if anybody else out there has been considering
    one, I'd recommend it; I don't believe you'd be disappointed.:thumbsup:

3. Carlw

Carlw New Friend

Aug 5, 2009
    Toronto
    BillC (not Bill Chase is it??)

Thanks for the insightful review, much appreciated. I'm still waiting for it to arrive. I was thinking about picking up a Bach 12E but a pro trombone friend of mine said to go with a 12C as the 12E would be too shallow and provide "tiny" sounds.

CW

4. billC

billC New Friend

Feb 28, 2009
    Carlw;
    Nope, last name isn't Chase, but I'd love to be able to play like he did!!
    I'm playing my horn with a Bach 12C; in his videos, Nick D uses a Yamaha
    42B in his Getzen. As Ursa said previously, Bach, and Schilke as well, both
    offer pieces they describe as especially suited for bass t and valve bone;
    terms used to describe their tone include "brassy" and "martial". I may
    experiment with some of them to see how they make the horn sound.

5. billC

billC New Friend

Feb 28, 2009
    Okay, here's another mouthpiece option I recently found for those who'd like to play bass trumpet or valve trombone without using a standard small shank t-bone piece. In their m-piece catalog, Bach lists an Eb contra-alto trumpet mouthpiece, catalog #343, model # 9AT. Overall it's slightly shorter than a t-bone piece, the shank dimensions, taper-wise, only slightly smaller than a t-bone shank. I ordered one, and it fits my bass t and valve bone receivers very well! Cup diameter is 19mm, only 1.5 mm larger than a 1C, and much smaller than a 22D t-bone's 23.9mm. What a tone! Focused, brassy, and bright! High register a breeze, and can still go down to low F# fairly easily. Can slur up to the bass t/valve tb equivalent of double c reasonably easily. If you want to play one of these horns in a jazz/rock setting, I'd recommend trying the 9AT. I also found that Kanstul makes a mouthpiece adaptor allowing the use of a french horn mouthpiece in a bass trumpet/tenor trombone/baritone. I may order one of these and see how my Schilke #32 horn mpiece sounds with the bass t. I'll report back when I do.

6. hippie68

hippie68 New Friend

Jul 30, 2011
    Lumberton, MS
    Hey euphmaster, I too have recently came across the Schiller American Heritage Bass Trumpet. I haven't taken the plunge yet and I was wondering how the horn is holding up for you, and does it use a standard small shank trombone mouthpiece?

7. billC

billC New Friend

Feb 28, 2009
    I have the Berkeleywind version of the Schiller horn that euphmaster has; they are the same horns. The horn takes a standard small shank tenor trombone m'piece. I also use a Bach 9AT alto trumpet mpiece in mine, which gives a much more focused tone and ridiculously easy upper register, and Kanstul makes an adapter that allows the use of a french horn mpiece in a t-bone/bass trumpet/baritone, which I'm gonna order to see how the bass t sounds with a fr horn piece. Mine's in laquer, and the finish is holding up well after a year of using it; the entire horn is holding up well too, for that matter. Definitely worth the $325 I paid for it!

8. hippie68

hippie68 New Friend

Jul 30, 2011
    Lumberton, MS
    Thanks man, I think you just might have sold me on that horn (as soon as I heal from paying for a suitable trumpet for college). And what of this french horn mouthpiece adapter? I found info on it on Kanstul.com, but where do you order one? I can't find anywhere to actually order the thing.

9. billC

billC New Friend

Feb 28, 2009
    According to the FAQ section of Kanstul's site, accessories like the french horn to trombone m'piece adapter can be ordered directly from the factory, they indicate they'll take your credit card info over the phone if you want to order that way. Not sure about debit cards, didn't see a mention of them, and they currently don't accept PayPal. They also have a dealer listing as well.

10. hippie68

hippie68 New Friend

Jul 30, 2011
    Lumberton, MS
    Thanks, I also found this site that has the adapter.

Virtual Tones