schmidt 4

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by davidjohnson, Dec 5, 2005.

1. davidjohnson

davidjohnson Piano User

Nov 2, 2003
    arkansas
    manny:

while i key this in, i'm listening to you play schmidt sym 4 on our local public radio station.
    mighty nice!!! any mso recordings of that work? i found a detroit listed.

dj

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I loved playing that very sad piece with Maestro Kreisberg. He programmed it with me in mind which was a a great honor. We have not recorded it formally. Anybody who records our shows off the air will have a pretty good collection of repertoire to listen to and study this year.

The Detroit CD is with Maestro Jaarvi, no?

ML

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, it is with Jaarvi. Ramone Parcells plays the opening solo, doesn't he? I have that recording and like it very much. I would love hear you play it Manny.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey, Alex...

Now there's a guy people don't talk enough about, Ramone. A wonderful player with a classy sound. And a nice guy, too... go figure.

I really enjoyed getting to know that piece, Alex, although it was written at a very sad time in his life, after the death of his sweet, young daughter. Kreisberg gave us some insight about that during the rehearsals and it was pretty powerful stuff to think about while playing, I gotta tell ya. Kind of a poor man's Mahler 9th.

ML

5. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    I heard that yesterday on the radio, too, Manny. Great job!

The DSO recording is very good - a very underrated orchestra, IMO.

6. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    With your orchestra's ties to Bruno Walter, that had to be a special event in the vibe department, eh Manny?

I have always been a big fan of Ramone's playing and actually thought the DSO was a good match with Jaarvi.....heck.....but what do I know, right? LOL.

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I am with you on that Robert. I have always been a fan of the DSO and amazed they are not mentioned much in general.

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Detroit's well kept secret!
    Although they did a lot with Jaarvi.

-cw-

9. mikemcgowan

mikemcgowan New Friend

Oct 31, 2005
    Yeah, well you all missed Ramón Parcells blow the doors off Mahler 5 last weekend with Peter Oundjian. He did a great job all weekend long! (So did Kevin, Steve and Bill!!)

I'll second you Manny, great sound, unique, colorful sound. And a nice guy ditto.

10. trombapaul

trombapaul Pianissimo User

Sep 30, 2004
    Detroit, MI
    Ditto! Ditto!! The entire section is still too much an unknown in the trumpet
    world. All 4 have great sounds, work tremendously together, and are all
    "nice guys".

Paul