School and Music

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kristine, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Kristine

Kristine New Friend

Nov 3, 2004
    Texas
    Mr. Laureano,

Hehe...I don't know why for some reason why, but somehow your advice has always steered me the right direction and I don't know what to do now. Lately since I've been focusing so much on music and wanting to be a professional musician one day. My grades have been suffering like he double hockey sticks. I don't know what to do! My parents are very unhappy and have taken my trumpet. They said they'd give it back if I pass my classes! Also, I still can't find that balance in life between school and music...I have to choose one or the other right?

Sorry.
    Kristine

2. Tarter_trpt8

Tarter_trpt8 Pianissimo User

Jan 17, 2005
    St. Paul, MN
    This is becoming a counseling session :D

Whether you think about this or not, school is important. What if someday you don't have what it takes to become a trumpet player or it just isn't what God has in store for you? You have to have other knowledge than the trumpet. You have 24 hours in a day, and if you practice 3 out of those 24 hours you have 21 left. Then you take away 8 for sleeping and that leaves you with 14, then you are in school for 7 of those hours and that leaves you 7 for eating and doing homework. Practice trumpet and inbetween practice sessions do homework. It works great and plus it keeps your chops fresh. I'm a college student now and my life is even busier than HS. But I know where you are coming from and I know where your paretns are because I had the same problem in HS. All I wantyed to do was practice so I did what I could to get by in classes and then practiced. I would even skip class. But don't do that cause it's wrong and it's a bad example of leadership. You just have to do your best with time that you have been given because of your schedule and not worry about it as hard as that is to do. Get up earlier and stay up later. Good luck, and take it easy on your paretns because they know what is best for you and are a lot wiser than you even if you don't see it yet!

Jeremy

momma_horn likes this.
  3. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Dear Kristine,

I, too, was faced with the exact same problem when I was exactly your age.

The only thing I chose to excel at was the trumpet and my other grades suffered to the point where my parents threatened to take my horn away until I graduated high school.

Kristine, what was the operative word in my statement?

If you can answer that question then you know what to do and then, all you'll have to do is convince your parents that you are as good as your word and they'll give you one more shot.

Do you know what the operative word in my statement was?

ML

P.S.

Everybody else: please let her mull this over and answer this for herself. It's important.

4. Kristine

Kristine New Friend

Nov 3, 2004
    Texas
    Mr. Laureano,

Is it to do good in school so I can get my trumpet back? Man, it's like withdrawing form a drug...I just can't get enough trumpet! This is the first day...ever that I have not played my trumpet...since I could remember.

Strive for excellence? in school and in trumpet. I don't like school though. To achieve balance? I don't know...but I've thought a lot about it for the last couple of hours and it's giving me a headache. And plus, even if I tried to achieve that balance...I don't think I would be able to. Once could say I was basically born with the mouthpiece in my mouth.

Maybe I should have sent you a private message about this. I apologize.

5. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Kristine,

The operative word was

"chose".

When push came to shove I found a way to do well enough at school to pass my subjects in a satisfactory way. I CHOSE to do better because I had to in order to keep playing. I eventually went on to play first cornet in the top band, principal trumpet in the top orchestra, lead in the jazz band, take a weekly private lesson, participate in the youth symphony, and get my work done for school.

Every day, when I got home from school, I pounced on my homework and got it done so that I could practice an hour in the evening. Someone your age doesn't need more than an hour of intelligent, purposeful practice every day when you consider how much playing you do in school as well.

You must learn to think, my dear. You must learn your country's history. You must learn a foreign language. You must understand the advantage of logical thinking provided by math. You must learn to love the poetic writing of Shakespeare to become a poet on the trumpet one day. All of these things help talented students become greater musicians because they teach you to listen and communicate. Yes, they do.

Your parents love you and want the best for the little girl they have raised to become a healthy teenager and who will one day will be a lovely lady. It's your hope to be a lovely lady who can blow the bell off a trumpet and maybe get paid for it.

Are you strong, Kristine? Are you strong enough to make good choices for yourself? Only you know the answer.

ML

6. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Kristine- A musician MUST be able to balance life's other things (how about enjoying a bike ride when it warms up or a hike?) with their music. I recently read an article by Gene Porkony (tubist in the Chicago orchestra) and he reminds us: 1. be a person who is a musician; 2. music is a great freind, but a terrible taskmaster. Think on those, and work to achieve a balance. According to an article on myauditions, Maestro Levine is having some great difficulty in Boston lately because he is overworking the orchestra.

All people who care about their work must keep their dragon at bay, lest it destroy them and by losing control they destroy the thing they love.

Convince yourself first of this truth; that will show your parents that you are serious.