School vs. Quality Education

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by fnchdrms87, Apr 18, 2006.

1. fnchdrms87

fnchdrms87 New Friend

Apr 18, 2006
    I took auditions this year at Eastman, Lousiana State University, and Boston University. I was rejected from Eastman, and accepted to LSU and BU. Next fall, I will attend LSU and as of now, I will not pay a cent towards my education because of the ridiculous amount of money LSU has to offer to music majors. I am flattered and ectstatic about this offer... but at the same time can't help but feel like there is a catch. Friends that attended Tanglewood Institute with me this summer took auditions at a lot of big name conservatories (CIM, Curtis, Julliard, NEC, Manhattan, Mannes, Boston Conservator etc.) and I regret that I did not at the very least take any of those auditions, esp. for NEC and CIM. My grief is that although I have all this money at LSU, I'm a little concerned my experience would not be as intense or focused if I were at a conservatory. The upside is that I could walk out of LSU with a double degree in performance and education and not owe anyone a cent for student loans such. Then I could do graduate work at a conservatory to really prepare myself for a job... but being an impatient 18 year old, I want to be the best player I can as fast as I can, and friends of mine who are attending those top notch schools make me feel that i'm not on the fast track to a job (my ideal job would to play in one of the service bands, pershings own, the commandents own etc.)

Anyone with more experience like to share some wisdom with me?

2. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    fnchdrms87-

I wouldn't worry about not going to a name-brand school. There are a lot of people who go to big name schools that have a "I'm just here until I win a job" mentality. Then there are people who go to smaller schools who work themselves silly and put the name-brand school kids to shame when it comes time for grad and professional auditions. If anybody here knows Denver Dill, you know what I mean. The bottom line is that there's no shame in going to a smaller school, as long as you get a quality education and continue to love what you do.

If you're worried about not getting experience, audition for top summer festivals: Tanglewood, Spoleto USA, Round Top to name a few. The incorrectly named New York String Orchestra Seminar is also a lot of fun, plus you get to play under Jaime Loredo to a packed house in Carnegie Hall. No disconnect there, and I really doubt that where you're studying is going to make a huge difference in the application process. I went to a big name brand conservatory for my undergrad and am now doing a Masters in musicology at a big state school, so I'm suffering with some of the same issues that I think you are.

-Jimi

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Work harder and smarter than everyone else. The quality of education at a state school is about the same as a conservatory in many cases. Where you choose to go to school will not land you the job; how you play will (or not). I can think of 3 top notch singers who are a product of the state university system (all hailing from my alma mater): Renee Fleming, Stephanie Blythe, and Margaret Lattamore. Leaving school debt free will be a big deal for you, especially if you choose to get married and start a family when you finish your undergrad work.

In all, remember that in any college experience, as with most things, what you get out of it is proportional to whatever you put in.

4. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    It's all about learning and the ability to apply your new-found knowledge. If you learn all the secrets of trumpet playing and never get to work them out in real situations you won't get very far. But if you're able to play with good repertoire with good ensembles regularly and play things outside of school with good players you'll do fine assuming you become a better-than-avreage player. It takes a lot of practice and repetition.

ML

5. Veldkamp

Veldkamp Piano User

Mar 29, 2004
    the Netherlands
    The great players of the past didn't go to school either. I learned the most outside school because I was fortunate to play in the same bands some of my teachers did.

But you can also learn a lot by yourself, listening to good records and imitating great players, practicing the right stuff, checking scores, et.. You can also learn a lot here by asking questions to people like Manny, Edward Carroll and Wilmer Wise !

I learned a lot in my 3rd year on the conservatory because I skipped most lessons and did a lot of self studie. Not that I would recommend to do the same... ;-) After that year a went to a school with better teachers and studied for another 5 years.

6. fnchdrms87

fnchdrms87 New Friend

Apr 18, 2006
    didn't mike sachs go to like the university of houston for his undergrad degree? I know Steve Hendrickson with the NSO went to like Iowa Luthers College (i think coincidently the same one bud herseth went too except 20 years or so later) I don't think he did graduate work. I've heard he a was stock broker in Chicago while working with herseth and jacobs. Great players come from everywhere, but it seems like lot of them come from big schools like Northwestern, Eastman, Julliard, NEC and Curtis.

7. KMT

KMT Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    UCLA

8. trjeam

trjeam Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    I'm young and don't know much...

but the way I see it, at the end of the day what it comes down to is YOU...

just my 2 cents...

9. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    I'd be more concerned with how you click with the trumpet teacher than the name or stature of the institution. Lot's of top players teach part time at schools that don't carry a big name but can provide you with a good music education. The only drawback is you don't want to be a big fish in a small pond all the time. Playing in local professional groups or summer festivals and camps can be good ways to surround yourself with other good players to learn from.

10. matthoffner

matthoffner Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    minneapolis, mn
    two words: George Mason. I don't go to a conservatory, and I think it motivates me to work harder.