School vs. Quality Education

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by fnchdrms87, Apr 18, 2006.

1. fnchdrms87

fnchdrms87 New Friend

Apr 18, 2006
    what about george mason? i actually live really close to there. I don't know much about edelbrock (he is the trumpet professor there, correct?) and really haven't heard much about the school at all

2. matthoffner

matthoffner Pianissimo User

Jul 12, 2005
    minneapolis, mn
    im sorry - i was talking about the college basketball tourney this year, I think they beat Michigan State, North Carolina, and UConn, pretty amazing. It wasn't luck, they were just as good and outplayed many of those teams.

3. Siegtrmpt

Siegtrmpt Mezzo Piano User

Nov 21, 2005
    Virginia
    It's pretty amazing what they've done at GMU the past 10-15 years to develop a solid music school. Denny Edelbrock is well known in music circles and is experienced in all facets of professional trumpet performance. Many of the "students" are also highly experienced musicians and are working in the military bands here in DC or are teachers in the public schools. I've had an opportunity to work with many of their recent graduates in Music Education and I think they have been very well prepared. Well worth looking in to.

4. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    You still got no shot at the NBA. Sorry buddy.

5. fnchdrms87

fnchdrms87 New Friend

Apr 18, 2006
    I know guys at GMU and it's not my ideal school. However I would like to get a job in one of the military bands here in D.C. There is currently an trumpet opening in the army concert band and the marine band... Not that I plan to take the audition, but there was also a marine band trumpet opening around this time last year... so it seems like there is more opportunity for playing gigs in the service bands then there are an orchestra.

6. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    It might seem like there are a lot of openings in service bands, but don't go into it thinking that it's going to be a walk in the park audition. These auditions are not easy: the top service bands are good, steady gigs and a lot of talented people show up to these auditions. The auditions themselves are often several rounds and include enormous amounts of very difficult site-reading. I would approach a top service band audition with the same kind of intensity that you would approach an audition for a top 25 orchestra audition.

-Jimi

7. fnchdrms87

fnchdrms87 New Friend

Apr 18, 2006
    By no stretch of the imagination was I saying that military band jobs are any easier to win. My teacher was the lead trumpet player in the blues for 20 something years and he highly adovactes those groups and he is a GREAT player. The guys in those groups are fantastic. However, when the opening's are a little more frequent, one would have more shots at winning the position should they choose to take the audition everytime a spot opens up... and that notion gives me just the incentive i need to work my @$$ off

8. mazzrick

mazzrick Pianissimo User

Sep 16, 2005
    Berlin, Germany
    fnchdrms87,

In further response to your questions, as KMT said about Michael Sachs, he did attend UCLA, but for a Bachelor of Arts degree in history not for music. Then he went to Julliard. Another good story is that of Mark Gould who did a pharmaceutical degree at BU and "never took a trumpet lesson." The fact that you're not paying for school is huge. Far too many people go into too much debt. If you were going into medicine, then of course spend 40 g a year cause you'll make it back for sure, but trumpet? Canadian schools are also good for those reasons, Mcgill, Glen Gould School are both far less than almost all American schools.

jimichel made a great point about summer festivals. I've found, and I'm sure most people agree, that the orchestral education at every summer festival was far more valuable than playing in the orchestras at school. jmichel mentioned the big ones which are mostly attended by later undergrads or masters students from these brand name places. Tanglewood has had at least 2 Northwestern students every summer for the last 3 or 4 years. Round Top is a little bit less know but is a great festival. I went last summer and have all wonderful things to say about it, especially Tom Booth and the food.

Does anyone know of festivals a bit more practical for younger students to get into. Las Vegas Music Festival was a good one, maybe Brevard, Eastern Music Festival... more?

Matt

9. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    fnchdrms87,

You've been given some great suggestions. What does your current teacher have to say about where you've been accepted? There are many excellent teachers out there. You would do best to find one that you can work with, and your current teacher can probably give you the best advice along those lines.

Schools look at much more than just your audition, and playing ability... academic achievement, and how well-rounded you appear to them is very important. Knowing your strengths, and your weaknesses is something that you ultimately have control over. Because you weren't accepted into this year's programs where you auditioned doesn't mean that you should give up. What I can tell you is that of the few that I knew who came in as transfer students from another school is that they had a very good work ethic, and they were achievers.

Your personal commitment to achieving your goals is without a doubt the best avenue that you can take. You need to feel confident that the school that you ultimately choose will allow you to stay on track, and provide a means towards that end. Best of luck in making the right choices!

Bruce

10. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Eastman runs a summer program. New York State School of the Arts also runs summer programs in jazz, orchestral, dance, theatre, ballet, and the visual arts. Summer music camps abound, as well, from Crane Youth Music and Fredonia as well as probably most colleges with 4 year degree programs in music. How about Summit Brass? Anyone know anything about that?