School vs. Quality Education

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by fnchdrms87, Apr 18, 2006.

1. trumpettrax

trumpettrax Piano User

Mar 18, 2006
    Texas
    Can you do the same things without even going to school? Just taking private lessons and playing?

2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    What a great problem to have...

Let's see no matter what you get a possible double degree and it costs nothing but the effort you put into it.

Must be nice!

I wouldn't worry about where you go. I think Manny and the others pretty much covered it. Just do the work and strive for excellance. You can't go wrong!

I'm still paying on my wife's student loans from Michigan State and she's been out of school 10 years!

You are very lucky!

3. ecarroll

ecarroll Artist in Residence Staff Member

Jul 13, 2005
    NY/CA
    fnch,

Read carefully what mazzrick offered above and then read it again. . . (and Matt, even though pharmacy was undoubtedly a big part of Mark's life at BU, I think his degree was in English :-) )

Good luck and enjoy the jambalaya,
    EC

4. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    It isn't easy. There are so many opportunities that a good school can provide in terms of experience, what you play, who you play with, and most importantly the people you run into. I remember a class with Al Vizutti, Lew Soloff, Vinny DiMartino (a monster) and Jeff Tyzik, where one of them said, look around, the people you see in this room you'll be seeing for the rest of your life. And it's true, I run into people all the time, and it seems there are trumpet players from my alma mater everywhere. That's important too after school when you want to get gigs, people you know help you to get work and you meet a lot of people you know in school.

Michael McLaughlin

"If I told you that you had a great chest, would you hold it against me?" Anonymous guitarist I work with from time to time, said to various young ladies at gigs.

5. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    A word of caution: educational debt is good debt, the same category as mortgage debt. If one must incur debt to go to school where one wants to, it's not a bad thing. The benefits of a good education over the long run outweigh the pain to one's posterior in paying off loans. It's only ten years, usually. Much less than a mortgage.

Michael McLaughlin

"Chameleons feed on light and air, poets' food is love and fame." Shelley

6. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    Stay with LSU. They are treating you right and that means everything. If they have a helping way with students that is all you will need. As far as learning keep that horn in your hand. You can't play and practice enough. In a way it's a shame that you will have to take courses not involving playing music.
    Learn to hang out in the band or orchestra room. Keep your elbow next to the best players you can find and keep humble even if you can pass them up. Be humble, be helpful, be polite and just keep at it. Find ways to play a few minutes almost every waking hour as best you can.

7. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Glorybe,
    this thread is 3 years old and your advice useless to the poster. We do not dig up old threads. Good information deserves its own!