Schoolhouse Rock

Discussion in 'TM Lounge' started by Alex Yates, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    For those of you who remember these wonderful educational cartoons, which was your favorite? I actually have the DVD set :oops: (and I don't have children living in my home LOL)

"Conjunction Junction" probably makes the top of my list. Although, I was always drawn to "Number 8", the ice-skating girl, because it was one of the few in a minor key. I tend to lean toward the sad stuff. LOL.

2. bas

bas Pianissimo User

Jun 2, 2005
    Iowa City, IA/Corfu, GR
    Great series that I remember from my childhood! Jack Sheldon was so soulful on "Conjunction Junction"....also used to check Jack out on the Merv Griffin Show around the same time.

3. ChasStarr

ChasStarr Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2004
    NE Louisiana
    I vote for conjunction junction, "linkin' up words and phrases and clauses"! Got me through high school grammar exams :D I bought the set for my kids too!

4. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    I loved those things! I can hear lots of them in my mind...

Lolly, Lolly, Lolly get your adverbs here...

I'm just a Bill, and I'm sitting here on capitol hill...

3, 6, 9....12, 15, 18... 21, 24, 27....30

And my favorite....

We the people, in order to form a more perfect union...

I still have the preamble to the constitution memorized, but I have to sing it!!!

5. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    My little brother got the whole DVD set as a get well present from his Uncle...he had his tonsils out. *tears* But he's better now. lol.

I actually have a deep resentment toward Grammar Rock because I was forced to watch it every Monday in my 10th grade "advanced" Language Arts class.

My favorite is the "I'm just a Bill here on Capitol Hill" song. It's so cute!!

Oh yeah...and the one with the bunny...I think it's lucky 7 or something...I love that little bunny to death!!!

Lara

6. butxifxnot

butxifxnot Pianissimo User

Jul 10, 2004
    Here...
    Syncopation is so much fun! :cool:

7. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    bob dorough wrote (and preformed) the majority of the songs for school house rock, with his biggest hit being conjuntion junction. He lives near me here in the delaware water gap. He was commissioned to write a piece for the COTA cats honors band at the delarware water gap celebration of the arts last year. I was in that band and had the pleace of working with him for about 2 weeks, on both the song he wrote (entilted crossword puzzle which was lots of fun) and he helped us on the other songs we were doing. SInce that band I have seen him around a couple times while playing in bars in such, he always remembered my name and is always willing to help. Hes a great guy and very active in the local jazz scene. Im sure he would be estatic to know you like his work, especially conjuntion juntion, he still has a tendency to play it while out gigging. He also has two cd's out right now (probably more but I have 2) entilted too much coffee and whos on first. both these cds are lots of fun and feature a lot of original songs, if you can track them down Id highly reccomend them. Anyway, sorry for the rant Im just a big fan of his after getting to know him and such.

8. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    after doing some quick research I found that, the two albums I mentioned, plus many more are available at amazon.com, just do a search for bob dorough, also if you care to learn more about the man who wrote conjuntion junction check out http://www.angelfire.com/ny/totrecords/dorough.html

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks musicalmason! Yeah, Bob wrote, "Lolly, Lolly, Lolly" (I love the munchkin voices in harmony on that one), "Electricity", "Three is a Magic Number", "The Shot Heard 'Round the World" and a few others.

Lara - there was also the Kangaroo one "Rufus Xavier Sarsaparilla" dealing with pronouns. Gotta love that one. ;-)

Looking through the contents on my dvd jacket, I forgot about all of those important "America Rock" songs. Look at these titles:

"No More Kings"
    "Fireworks"
    "The Shot Heard 'Round the World"
    "The Preamble" (the Constitution song)
    "Elbow Room"
    "The Great American Melting Pot"
    "Mother Necessity"
    "Sufferin' Till Suffrage"
    "I'm Just A Bill"
    "Three Ring Government"

And I admit, I learned quite a bit about things from these songs when I was small. They are really clever, IMHO.

Oh, and last, but not least....."My Hero, Zero". LOL.

10. mattdalton

mattdalton Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2005
    Newcastle, WA USA
    It's too hard to have one favorite out of all the songs. Zero My Hero, Three is a Magic Number, and Conjunction Junction are probably always at the top for me, though.

We bought a set of CDs awhile back for our daughter (now 7), and were very happy that she loved listening to them. My wife and I got to bring back great childhood memories of the Schoolhouse Rock bits between Saturday morning cartoons, and our daughter learned a lot from them. Between Montessori school and the Multiplication Rock songs, she was really learning to multiply at age 5. The other discs (Grammar, America, and Science) had similar results. Behold, the power of music!

Bob Dorough and company produced some classics that will help many generations of kids. While I can't prove it, I think that kids somehow understand the quality and inspiration that went into those recordings, and it attracts their attention. We also have a son who is 7 months old, and I look forward to another round of Schoolhouse Rock in a few years.

I think I'll find those CDs and have a listen. Thanks for the reminder, Alex.