Scodwell Trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Tootsall, Nov 10, 2003.

1. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Hello,

I can discuss what ever you'd like to know about the B flat trumpet made by Tony Scodwell in Las Vegas.

I have two, and have been through the "makeing" process several times at Tonys house.

What wouild you like to know?

Regards ... Michael

2. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Scodwell Trumpets

Ok, yes these horns are hand crafted by Tony Scodwell in Las Vegas. Someone posted a link to ... www.rayburnmusic.com ... Very nice article and write up about Tony and his horn.

It's a .460 bore, 25 guage bell (the eqivilent of Bach's "H" bell). A Bach 37 bell flare, Tonys lead-pipe (again a modification of a Bach 25). Tony gets all the raw parts from Kanstul, and assembles the horns one by one, custom fitting each bell to the valve cluster to get each horn playing "it's" best. The bracing on each horn is unique to it self. The placement of the forward bell brace is different on every horn to get each bell to ring just right. There is no bracing between the bell and the valve cluster.

These horns really feel "alive" in your hands, and have amazing projection. When asked "what does it play like". I have to say it's like a cross between the best Bach, and the best Calicchio you've ever hoped for, but better than either. **Now thata's my say on it.** On the same note I'll say that a great Bach & a great Calicchio are also fine horns. "Just different strokes ..."

A far as who plays them, most of the working trumpet players in Las Vegas do! Severinsen played them for a while. as matter of fact ... I think most of the guys working in Doc's big band play them.

Glad to speek about the Scodwell trumpet.

Michael

3. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi Mike,

Tell us about the new Flugelhorn Tony's come out with.

I played the proto-type down at Kanstuls and it a real winner.

It has a actual tuning slide on the first big bow past the valve section that can be pulled in or out to tune it.

Pretty Wild Stuff

Larry

4. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Scodwell Trumpets And Flugs

YES. Walter Blanton plays a Scodwell trpt. He has one of the first Tony ever made. His is gold plated. (I have two one silver plated, one gold plated .. all plating done by Kanstul).

About Tonys Flug ... i can't say enough good things about it. ( I bought Tonys old Cuesnon from him in 1990.) It has the sound and feel of a great Cuesnon Monopole. You tune it "not' at the mpc reciever, instead it has a tuning slide at the crook coming out of the valve section /bell area.

In years past Tony got the valve clusters from someone in Europe, but it takes so much time for him to do too much raw work ... Tony has gone to Zig to produce his design.

The only other flug I like as much as Tonys is a very good Cuesnon! I have played several Scodwell flugs & have loved them all! I have Tonys old Cuesnon and not only love it, but have a sentamental attachment to it. Were it not for that, I'd get one.

I should mention that Tonys horns come in raw brass. Don't quote me on this, but I believe the price from Rayburn, or Mike Thompson Music is $2,400 - $2,500. If you're one of those that wants to surf "eBay" or the "Trumpet herald" and hopes to find a great horn for cheap ... keep doing it. These are for a serious player who wants a horn he's going to keep & play!

I have two of Tonys trumpets, one custom made for me, and the other from a LV vet. Well, I've really owned 4, but these are the two that I've settled on for me. I'd be pleased with any one of Tonys trumpet "as is". Prior to playing Scodwell trumpets I had a very good Calicchio 1s-7 (that I sold to Dave Johnson of Calicchio) and a great Bach 43*. Sold both because I didn't play them anymore!

Seems I've written a short book here ... so I'lll take a break and answer any questions anyone has.

Regards,

Michael

5. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    LV Trumpet Fest

I just read Mark Minasian's write up about the most recent trumpet fest @ UNLV. Loved his comment that there seemed to be a contest to see who could play the loudest high G (ha ha ha) what is it about trumpet players?

Too bad the event wasn't more "publicly announced"! I'd have been there!

Sounds as if it was a great time. BTW, I see he bought a Bach Sterling Plus 37> Very nice trpt. Mark, I believe, also plays a Scodwell trumpet. He has one of the first 5 horns Tony made.

Regards

6. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    I'll be going out to LV 1/23 - 1/29. I'll of course be hooking up with Tony Scodwell, however will be going to see as many shows as possible with live horn players. I'll post what horns are being used in "Sin City".

Slightly OT ... there is, frequently, talk about "finishes" and their effects on the playing qualities of a trumpet. Tony makes one (1) configuration, and I have played his horns in raw brass, Laquered, sliver plated & gold plated.

My opinion of the various finihes:

Raw Brass - the way these horns are born. Great sound & feel!

Laquering - I had my first one laquered & it really deadened the horn. I didn't like it. Took the laquer off. However Tony and at least one other LV player I know have had theirs laquered & they really didn't notice a difference.

Sliver - Perhaps made the sound a little brighter ... ? But the great core of sound remains!

Gold - Sort of "rounds out" the sound a little from silver plating. Helps emphisise the lower over tones with out taking away the highs. Just warms up the sound a bit.

I presently have two. One silver & one gold. I'd have probably left my custom trpt ( now silver plated) in raw brass, but I had it plated for preservation reasons.

7. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Trumpets Being Used in LV

Well there's a variety.

A lot of guys are using the Scodwell. I saw a few guys playing the Yamaha 6310Z, one player I know of is using the kanstul Chicago series, there were few Sterling Plus Bell Bachs.

I was not able to hook up with Tony while I was out there. He's recently bought a new house and was head long into the move.

Also ... I am looking for a used Scodwell trumpet if any readers have one they'll part with, or if you know of some one. Send me a private message with your contact info.

Thanks
    MPM

8. marathoner

marathoner New Friend

Nov 10, 2003
    How would one find out about the history of a particular Scodwell- date of manufacture, original owner, etc? The one website listed for Tony Scodwell comes up blank on my computer.

9. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Tony Scodwell does not have his own website. The horns are listed on the Rayburn site, which is the store that Tony sells them through. (Also Mike Thompson music.) If you send me a PM with the details, I may be able to help you, or put you in touch with somebody wlse who can.

Mike