SCORE! (ITG stuff)

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, Oct 26, 2005.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I got a packet from the ITG in the mail a couple of days ago and was thrilled when I opened it up and saw all of the music that they sent me. There must be $80 worth of music there! Considering that I only paid the requisite $49 for membership, this is a huge bonus that I wasn't expecting.

Way to go ITG!

I can't believe I have played trumpet for so long and am just now finally getting around to joining the ITG for the first time. :oops:

2. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Patrick

Congrats Man! :-) Sounds like its a great package, and dont dump on yourself for taking so long but rather be happy you did it. Enjoy!

PS I wanted to ask you Patrick. That Avatar with the cool looking mask. Is that you or someone off American Gladiators? Cool pic :cool:

Equipment
    Martin Committee Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece
    Bach 1c Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

3. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    Pat- How long did it take for your stuff to get there? I joined earlier this month and haven't heard boo from them yet.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I'd say that it took a good 5-6 weeks for that package to come. I joined and then sort of forgot about it, so I'm not quite sure how long it took.

The avatar is Maximus Decimus Meridius from the movie "Gladiator, and it's the mask he was wearing for the first battle that took place in the Rome Coliseum. My favorite scene in the movie takes place immediately following that battle when the Emperor Commodus wants to know the name of the gladiator that rallied the other gladiators and provided a major upset. At this point Commodus thinks that Maximus, who was at one time the General for the whole Roman army in the North, is dead, because he had ordered Maximus' execution and didn't know that Maximus had escaped and lived. The look of shock on Joaquin Phoenix's (Commodus) face when Maximus (Russel Crowe) pulls off the mask and lets him know exactly who he is, is priceless. :evil:

I'm looking forward to getting my first ITG Journal.

5. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hey Patrick

That sounds like a cool movie. Think I'll check it out! :cool:

Equipment
    Martin Committee Trumpet, T3467RE
    Holton Heim # 2 Mouthpiece
    Bach 1c Mouthpiece

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

6. silverstar

silverstar Mezzo Forte User

Jan 6, 2005
    Ooh! I just signed up two weeks ago!

Does that mean I have a goody bag in the mail too?

Congrats, Pat!

Lara

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I think it does mean that you are going to get a goodie bag too. They can't be making much money at all off of memebership dues, but whatever floats their boat in terms of member benefits is just fine by me! :D

As for the movie Gladiator - I'd say it was a good movie - it won "Best Picture" Oscar at the 2000 Academy Awards. :bravo: I own it on DVD and make a point to watch it every once in a while.

8. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    For what it's worth I concur Patrick. That was a great movie, and I too own it on DVD. I'll have to join ITG I've been kicking it around for a while now. Thanks for the Post!

9. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I loved that movie. I saw it twice. It's been a long time since I saw it so maybe I'll go rent it.

I am wondering why you guys joined ITG?
    I used to be a member but dropped it.

Outside of the music, does it do anything for you to be a member?

10. Derek Reaban

Derek Reaban Mezzo Piano User

Jun 16, 2005
    Tempe, Arizona
    B15M,

When I first joined ITG, I was very interested in getting details about trumpet sections of major symphony orchestras. There were lots of great articles and photos on orchestras (Boston, San Francisco, Detroit, BBCSO, and Cleveland). After I read all of those and got my feet wet with names of players that I was only just discovering, I began looking at the wonderful interviews and biographical articles on many of these same players.

I would print out these articles from the ITG CD-ROM (25 Years of past Journal Articles) and read them over my lunch hour in a little park that was close to my office. I read about Harry Glantz, Max Schlossberg, and William Vacchiano by Andre Smith and felt like I was living through the careers of these players in the early days in New York. It was truly amazing! Then I started reading about players like Vincent Cichowicz (who I had met when my instructor had a lesson with him back in the early 90s), Gilbert Johnson, Seymore Rosenfeld, Thomas Wohlwender, John Ware, Mark Gould and had stepped a generation or two further down the line of orchestral players. They all talked about players that I had read about in the other articles. It was a fabric of history that was very integrated and seeing how the history unfolded for each player was incredible.

This was reading that I couldn’t do anywhere else, and it was great to hear these stories.

There’s lots of other great stuff too, but Man…those articles really did it for me.