Scratched Brass

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MGDT, Jan 27, 2013.

1. MGDT

MGDT New Friend

Jan 21, 2013
    Does anyone know how to give an un-laquered horn a "scratched" or "satin" finish at home?

2. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    Green scrubbie, and I wouldn't recommend doing it. It will be difficult to get an attractive scratch pattern and unless you have it lacquered or polish regularly it will discolor quickly.

3. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Malani Abrasive 1400 is what I used when I built trumpets. Its not too ruff and looks nice with some clear lacquer on top :-) But try on a cheap horn or tubings first, you need to find out how to make an even pattern :-)

4. MGDT

MGDT New Friend

Jan 21, 2013
    Thanks for the info guys. I was wondering because i want to give my old Buffet a nice "Monette Style" look to it without spending a small fortune. Is clear laquer easy to strip if you mess it up? And would the brass tarnish under it?

5. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Yes it will tarnish without lacquer. And some lacquer types are easy to strip of (Bach, Selmer, Conn) while Yamaha is HARD. I used ammonia and water but it is probably other things that works too. The ammonia makes all the solderings showing. I almost puked the first time I saw the bell seam on my Bach turned black, I thought it would fall apart. But fear not. 30 minutes in an ammonia bath should turn the lacquer in to gel.

6. MGDT

MGDT New Friend

Jan 21, 2013
    thanks for the info. Would you have to immediately lacquer the horn, or would you finger prints still tarnish under the lacquer?

7. rettepnoj

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    You need to prep it before lacquering.Dont know the english word but remove the fat from your hands and all other dirt :-)

8. MGDT

MGDT New Friend

Jan 21, 2013
    Thanks for the help. :-)

9. MGDT

MGDT New Friend

Jan 21, 2013
    Thanks for all the responses :-) ill be posting the results when it's complete. It's about 45% as of now

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    DON'T USE AMMONIA ON BRASS.
    Ammonia weakens the structure of brass and can cause it to crack. Season cracking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I use a brass scratch brush on a bench motor to scratch brush horns. You can buy them from hardware stores or repair tool suppliers. Very easy to get a flawless finish.
    I also cover the horn in Sunlight dishwashing liquid when scratch brushing. It seems to help with the finish.

The pre-lacquering word for prepping a horn is 'De-greasing'