Scratched Finish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by TheWahls, Oct 1, 2011.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Being the proud owner of an SD, I would advise saving your money and getting it done by a pro. Nothing against DIY'ers (I'm one), but you said it wasn't bent up and dented which is indeed unusual for SD's. A pro could also fix the leak if it's something beyond a bad cork.

2. TheWahls

TheWahls New Friend

Sep 29, 2011
    I'm almost certain it is a cork, but I am beginning to think like you. I might just try the scratch finish on my 300 instead of the SD. I still have the original case in good condition for the SD as well.

It might leave a residue, you're right. I might have to dilute it by a lot, but that would also reduce its' effectiveness.

Maybe dilute the dawn, put it in a mixture, put on gloves to pull it out (maybe surgical), then wash it off with water?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  3. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I've done a bit of scratch finishes in the past few yearsm and know what works and what doesn't.

If you want it to look nice, after you have the original finish removed, you really need to do the final
    scratching by hand.

Here's my method - cut yourself a piece of duct tape about 18 inches long.
    Cut yourself a piece of the green scotch pad the same width as your duct tape.
    Place the pad in the middle of the duct tape.
    Fold over the extra ends of the duct tape onto itself such that about 3/16" overlaps on to the scratch
    pad.

At this point you will have a nice flexible pad that can be manipulated like a buffing rag, albeit stiff.

Use this to work the finish back and forth to leave the scratch pattern.

I usually run the scratches at a right angle to the tubing.

Also, as the pad loses its scratching power then flip it over on the duct tape.

For the spaces between the valves you can cut narrow strips.

Good luck!

Greg

PS - If you want the finish to last you will need to get it professionally sprayed of plated.
    DIY spays won't last for spit.

4. TheWahls

TheWahls New Friend

Sep 29, 2011
    Awesome tips, thanks a lot. Do you scratch in circles?

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Monette brushes at angles - about 45°

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    I brush in straight lines, or at least, that's what I try to do.

The goal is to make it look like the lines are continuous going around the tubes.

7. TheWahls

TheWahls New Friend

Sep 29, 2011
    I was thinking something similar. Circles seemed a little impractical, especially around the valves.

I'm dyslexic, I can see myself getting confused as to which way I started brushing. lol

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia

9. TheWahls

TheWahls New Friend

Sep 29, 2011
    Hello again everyone.

So remember when I said that I was redoing a trumpet for my nephew? Every horn I've ever bought on Ebay I have gotten a killer deal on. Well, one came in the mail today, and after about 10 minutes of work, it turns out that his horn was hiding an interesting secret!

Pics up later today or tomorrow.

10. Maui_Jimmy

Maui_Jimmy Piano User

Jun 28, 2011
    Deer Park, TX
    And the hook is set!