Scratched Finish

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by TheWahls, Oct 1, 2011.

1. TheWahls

TheWahls New Friend

Sep 29, 2011
    Well, I'm not done.

Anyway, I was looking on ebay for a horn to redo for my nephew. The buyer said all the slides pulled, valves moved, and included a mouthpiece. The seller had no idea what model it was and the pictures weren't very descriptive. It was pretty rough looking, but I thought it might be a Conn Victor. I thought it was a pretty good deal and bought it.

[​IMG]

I got it and feared the worst - red rot. The picture doesn't show it well, but it looked like really, really bad red rot. So I was really upset. I took out the brasso and a qtip, and put it in a tiny spot. It wasn't red rot at all.

[​IMG]

Because under all of that tarnishing, It is a 1954 12B Coprion. I don't think my nephew is getting this horn, and this one definitely isn't getting a scratched finish. The cork on the inside of one of the valves broke in half, but I needed to redo the valves anyway. Still, my ebay luck with horns continues. (Can't say the same about Saxes, though. :-()

Last edited: Oct 11, 2011
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Pretty cool! That 1st pic is nasty!

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    12Bs are great! That horn has a patch in a very weird spot.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Saw that and thought the same. Maybe the player had big hands? It's a big patch too!

5. TheWahls

TheWahls New Friend

Sep 29, 2011
    The person must have had big hands because my hand naturally touches that patch... Another weird thing, all of the slides moved with no effort on a horn that looked like that. :shock:

22B rebuild kit with bottom springs would work on this horn, right?

6. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Should. The springs may or may not look the same - some are straight cylindrical and some are wider at the bottom where they fit in the caps and taper so they fit the underside of the valve on top. There is not always enough cork in the kits.

7. TheWahls

TheWahls New Friend

Sep 29, 2011
    Ok, thanks a lot.

8. Maui_Jimmy

Maui_Jimmy Piano User

Jun 28, 2011
    Deer Park, TX
    So I've been pondering this scratch finish. Can you scratch finish the lacquer / epoxy and not the actual brass and get the same look? Or maybe use a lacquer / epoxy that has a satin sheen for a similar effect?