scratched my new Xeno!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by revjames, Nov 1, 2012.

1. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Disaster - or not hopefully

There was a pair of keys for the case rattling round in the case. Stuffed down the part where I keep mutes, cloth, oil etc. The keys got into the same area as the trumpet itself and now I have a 1" long scratch in the laquer about 6" from the bell. Not mega deep but I am annoyed for being so careless.

I havent done anything yet as I am reluctant to until I get some good advice.

Any good suggestions? - I am probably a hundred miles from a decent shop.

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    While advice from someone who does repairs would likely be better, if it were me, and I was going to try something myself, I'd use some silver polish on it (like Wrights) to see if it could improve it. There really isn't a way to put the silver back. What a shop will likely do is buff it (removing silver) so the scratch isn't so pronounced.

3. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Thanks but its not silver but gold laquer. did consider Brasso but a bit wary of its abrasive qualities.

4. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Do not use Brasso. I think some lacquers may even have a clear coat over them so wait and get advice from others. A shop will probably use a buffing tool. I wonder if some of the "scratch remover" (actually a filler) they advertise for cars would work. Know it must bother you, but it is only because you know it is there. Others may not notice.

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Sorry to hear this. We've all been there. I hope you find some good advice here or from your local repair guy.

I just ordered a new horn, and I had a dream last night that I damaged it right after I got it. It's a fear we all live with.

Mike

6. mush-mouth

mush-mouth Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2009
    Your horn got its first battle wound. A bit heartbreaking to be sure, but at least you can stop worrying about that first scratch or ding happening since it's out of the way now.

If I were you I'd leave it be for now since a home "repair" can easily make matters much much worse. Just wait and see, you may grow accustomed to it, and may even grow to appreciate it as a special mark on YOUR horn.

If it still bothers you in a few months then get it professionally repaired.

7. entrancing1

entrancing1 Mezzo Piano User

Feb 16, 2010
    Buffalo, NY
    I did something similarly stupid with my then new Yammie French Horn. Yes it is heartbreaking, but if you play the horn it is going to get dings and scratches. If you want to keep it perfect leave it in the case, and in your case...Without the keys.:cool:

8. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    You can't repair something like that without redoing the entire horn. If a shop buffs away the scratch and spot lacquers it, it will be noticeable, especially since they will likely use spray lacquer. Yamaha uses an electrostatically charged booth that makes the lacquer particles stick to the brass via static. It is a very different process, and the lacquer is different than the stuff you can buy off the shelf.

It isn't a dent, so I wouldn't get too angry about it.

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Ouch but we've all been there wear it with pride as your first war wound. My beautiful Packer cornet recieved it first ding in slide 2 whan someone gave me a lyre that got left in the main part of my case and slipped into the horn area when being transported home. It is minor but when you get your first ding on a new horn the first thought is probably not repeatable. Just to give you some idea my old brevete cornet looks as though it has been through a wringer but it is a lovely player, frankly beautiful to play looks like an extra from phantom of the opera.

Ny 600 cornet was bought "shop soiled" with a little scratch in the silver, try not to worry about cosmetics

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I've had that dream too! I wouldn't worry about it. I would throw away the keys or put them on a key ring!