scratched my new Xeno!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by revjames, Nov 1, 2012.

1. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Thanks for all the replies. It helped put it into persepective. Can't see it without really closely scrutinising it and then its only a light surface scratch just the laquer. Don't think I need to lose much sleep over it.

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    So I suppose now we'll have jokes about how the scratch got there cos you weren't concentrating on the key sig

3. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    Perhaps my playing wasnt up to scratch

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    This had better be put out to graze

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This is just a little reminder for you .... "It's not the instrument ...."

6. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    I'm with the no big deal guys, it was going to happen sooner or later. I PREFER a slightly dinged horn, that way you don't worry about it!

7. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Agreed. After I got my Radial back from Anderson I was always polishing it and became alarmed to see a greyish hue developing at contact points. Even tried the valve guard, which I hated. Then I had to accept that my skin chemistry is definitely tough on nickel. Now the horn is raw brass at the contact points and I don't worry about it one bit...

8. revjames

revjames Piano User

Nov 14, 2010
    Anglesey, North Wales
    B;imey, you should see it now, small ding on the bell from hitting a music stand and a couple more scratches, more worrying is an area on the leadpipe where the laquer is right off down to the brass.. just seemed to have come off don't remember hitting it there. Is there a way of painting it back in?

9. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    I have dreams where the bell will turn to mush. Literally. It just becomes a piece of tin foil and it can never be repaired!!

10. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Go get a small can of lacquer, or clear nail polish (which ever is cheaper), and with a small brush very carefully cover the scratch. Then forget about it.