Scratches on silver

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kingmack, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Kingmack

Kingmack New Friend

Mar 7, 2015
    Ok guys I've just bought a Yamaha ytr 636, and believe me, the sandpaper is far away from it. Anyway, it is covered in little scratches ( like most horns) and I'm trying to get a lot of them off. Any suggestions?

2. Clarkvinmazz

Clarkvinmazz Forte User

May 11, 2013
    Oberlin, Ohio
    Nope. There really isn't much you can do. They're battle scars! Some of the best playing horns I've had the pleasure of blowing looked like total crap.

3. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    Well loved...

You could try silver polish (a polish cloth or something like hagerty ) but all that does is grind down all the silver to that level, so it up to you.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    What he said! :D

5. Mellophone Man

Mellophone Man Pianissimo User

Mar 31, 2010
    Scottsdale AZ
    I suspect that you bought the horn to play it and not polish it. Enjoy playing it and don't worry too much about the scratches:))

6. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    If you can lightly polish in the direction of the scratches - they will be less noticeable.

7. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Buffing can remove most of the fine stuff, but it can only go so far. Ask a tech to look at it and give you his opinion on what will go away and what wont. I get this same question about car finishes all the time. The light swirls are usually no problem but actual scratches have to be judged by how deep they go into the finish. Most used horns can be improved greatly but there is always a scratch or two that are there to stay. Luckily you saved yourself the anguish of putting the first scratch into it. Best wishes.