Scream like maynard?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Sauer, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Sauer

Sauer Pianissimo User

Mar 20, 2007
    This question has bugged me for a while. It's not the range, that is obviously with age and practice, but the ridiculous vibrato-esque thing he does when he screams, is it just a fast shaking of the trumpet or what?

2. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Maynard was a master at shakes and lip trills.

THat is what you are hearing.

-cw-

3. max3k

max3k Mezzo Piano User

Jan 7, 2007
    personally it got annoying after about 1 song. not a big fan of the ridiculous trills of Maynard... I can respect his talent though....

Let the flaming begin....

4. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto

Me too

5. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I thought it was pretty cool! I sure wish I had the ability to do it like he did!

6. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    I prefer the early 50s recordings of Maynard. IMHO his sound was at its best then. His sound was massivein all registers. I also enjoy his later "Rocky" stuff etc, but i find that there is a compromise in sound for his range. Don't get me wrong i am huge fan of Maynard, and highly respect his work, but his earlier recordings are my favourite!

BUM

7. BergeronWannabe

BergeronWannabe Piano User

Feb 6, 2007
    Yes, incredibly annoying...sure wish I could do it!! :cool:

8. MLanghardt

MLanghardt New Friend

Apr 7, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    Maynards 50's stuff was incredible. Don't get me wrong either, I like it all. But the 50's is hands down some of the best stuff I've ever heard.

9. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I too, have a collection of MF records, as all trumpet players of my age probally have. I guess it's an age thing, but "screaming" ain't all that's important in trumpet playing for me anymore. Excuse me while I check my fire extinguisher.....:cool:

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Maynard was Maynard - his whole life. He did his thing and I believe that on purpose. Even if we don't understand what he intended, he was playing what was in his head. Chase had his scales, other trumpet players have their "identifiers".

I think this thread could really degenerate fast into something MUCH beneath the Boss's true value to the trumpet world. Can we keep this limited to the technical/musical?