Scream like Maynard!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by horner, Oct 14, 2008.

1. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    Hi, after reading the topic about screaming like Maynard and spending the day listening to his CDs, i was wondering what the highest note ever played on a Trumpet is, who played it and when? Its probably a silly question but it made me think, which i have to say was an unplesant experience, lol.

:play:

2. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    For Maynard, it was probably the squeal on the original recording of "Ole" circa 1960.
    My friend said that he was curious about an apparent gap in the song, he slowed down the record player to 16 rpm so that the missing note became audible, and with his perfect pitch he said that it appeared to be an E above Triple C (*if* my memory of 35 years ago is correct).

In 1973 we heard Maynard play a Triple C in "Hey Jude" at the end of a 2-hour concert in Denver.

My friend said that Maynard played several Triple C's in a concert in or near Boston circa 1975.

In Trumpet Herald some people have posted about people who claim to have played Quadruple C's, but I don't know who they are or if the claims are true.

- Morris

3. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England
    Quadruple C! No way is that possible! Thats got to be higher than human hearing surely! An E above Triple C is insane!

But has anyone ever genuinly out screamed Maynard?

4. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    One former member of Maynard's band said that in concert Maynard once played a *beautiful* A above Double C on a flugel horn.

Some posters in Trumpet Herald have claimed that Maynard was not as good in the upper register as Bud Brisbois, Cat Anderson, etc.
    I think they were all great in the upper register in different ways.

If you listen to the incredibly powerful Double C that Billl Chase sustained for several seconds at the end of his second album, "Ennea", than there is no doubt that Bill Chase could play Triple C's.
    But I don't know of anyone who ever heard him do it.

To be honest, some of the people who played in Maynard's band in the final 20 years were playing just as high and just as powerfully as Maynard normally played in his prime years.
    It's like Johnny Weismuller, who played Tarzan in the movies in the 1930's.
    In the 1920's Johnny was an Olympic swimmer.
    60 years later there were teenage girls swimming as fast as Johnny did in the 1920's.
    Maynard inspired many people to follow in his footsteps in high-register playing.
    But nobody has Maynard's combination of talent and showmanship.
    Maynard's concerts were *fun* because he was a genuinely wonderful, loving, funny guy in addition to being able to blast Double C's and play beautiful ballads.

- Morris

5. RobertSlotte

RobertSlotte Pianissimo User

Jul 7, 2008
    Finland
    I saw a videoclip of Andrea Tofanelli playing an arpeggio upp to an F over tripple C. And it was a good tone also.

6. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Actually, High C is about 1000 Hz in frequency (slightly more).

DHC is then about 2000 Hz.

Tripple High C is about 4000 Hz.

The human ear should in many cases be able also to hear:

Quadruple C about 8000 Hz
    "Quintuple C" about 16000 Hz

So there is a bit yet to go for ANY trumpeter who wants to go supersonic!

7. nosray

nosray Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I can imagine how deafening a Quintuple C could be hahaha

8. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    I don't think it would be that loud due to the physics involved. It would be present, but not overly loud.. or I would think.... any physics/math/etc teachers out there (nick)?