Scream Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jsimpher, Aug 14, 2008.

1. jsimpher

jsimpher New Friend

Aug 10, 2008
    Hey all,
    I currently play in a funk band based in St. Louis, and am having some trouble getting the sound and range that I would like to have. I have been working diligently, and so far have been able to extend my endurance drastically, but I still struggle while playing over a high E to F after the first set. I am trying to get that Maynard-esque sound and increase my range to at least a double C.

I was wondering if any of you guys have tried to do this with any success or have any advice. I found this website that claims to help, but I don't want to spend $70 on something that may just be a gimmick. SCREAMIN

Any Thoughts?

P.S. If any of you would like to check out my band you can do a music search on Myspace for "FatPocket" or go to FatPocket: St. Louis' Premier Funk Band! There are still a few songs on our player that still don't work, which the webmaster and I are currently trying to figure out.

Thanks for the help.

2. Sofus

Sofus Forte User

Jul 26, 2008
    Hej there, jsimpher!

You´re gonna get a lot of advice to practice more in the next few posts (my guess)!

Anyhow, I checked out your band and it sounds GREAT!!
    No doubt that you`ve already practised a lot.
    Wish I could help you, but I´m stiving for the same thing as you
    and a million others.

3. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Hi JSimpher,

Sofus is right, you're gonna get advice to practice more. I'm in the same boat as you, I'd like to increase both range and endurance (wouldn't we all).

From my research there's two things required to improve upper register: 1) Strengthen the embrochure (hence the practice), and 2) Optimize the embrochure for the upper register. The way I see it: you're playing higher notes that have shorter wavelengths, therefore smaller changes and variations in your embrochure have a greater effect, so optimizing the embrochure is critical.

Trying to optimize the embrochure is where you get into all the "Screamin" and "Superchops" methods.

I'm like you, I find it hard to dish out the money on something that may not work for me. I'm a little skeptical of any single method working for everyone because everyone's embrochure (lips, teeth) are different.

The other piece of advice you'll get is: Get a good TRUMPET teacher. I agree, of course that's also time and money. But IMHO that's the fastest way to get the embrochure optimized and increase range.

BTW, you'll also get the "It's not about high notes, it's about the music," posts. But to each his own.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

4. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    I don't mind your aspirations...to be able to play higher with more ease..et al. I just don't think you really "need" it for that gig. I can't think of many (if any) tunes from that genre/era that require range above F# or G. Mostly...they are in the pocket below that. So... the endurance and proper TONE and FEEL are what's important. Yes, ability and practice to build these...but listening to the originals or styles you want to play/sound like is KEY.

A couple of words of caution...and examples. I did head over to your band's web site. This really seems like a very fun band and I'm sure your performances are a gas with the audience/dancers. However, after listening to Jungle Boogie (for example)... not only is the chorus lick wrong (you guys are playing 4-32nd notes instead of 5 like the original....it should be (in the concert key of G min) Db-D-Db-Bb-G, Db-D-Db-Bb-G)...but the tempo is a bit fast from the original. Check it out:

YouTube - Kool And The Gang - Jungle Boogie

This is an easy trap for bands to fall into. Careful not to fall into it, because the tunes end up losing their original groove.

Point is....go back and listen to the originals again. There is a reason those tunes were hits .... and still are crowd favorites. I've heard many cover bands who seem to have learned tunes by memory and not going back to actually "listen" to the originals (it's almost like I can hear them in their rehearsals..if they even have them..."yeah, man...I remember that tune...let's do it....")....and completely muck it up.

You guys...sound very good. Just tighten up a bit on the way the original cats played this stuff...and you will continue to be a very good, fun band. As for your playing....hey...you sound just fine! I admire that you want to better yourself...cool. Just don't get caught up in quick fixes (or not) to more range. Especially in lieu of great sound and style....which you already have. Range and endurance building takes diligence, patience and time. Keep at it. It already sounds like you have made strides in this by what you said. Patience...

Keep us posted. I used to live around St Louis. Great town for what you are doing. Wishing you much success....

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Most of the casual players that I know with good high chops learn to use the PA for volume and they concentrate on practicing high at lower volumes.

A FFF double C after a couple of sets is reserved only for the best trained chops. If that is not what you are about, don't play louder than mezzo forte at the gig. Let the microphone do the work. Your range goes up about a 3rd when you drop the volume. After a couple months of NOT beating up your face, much more is possible!

6. wilcox96

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    That's another excellent point, Robin.

A friend of mine has a little saying....something like:

Play at 85%...make it sound like 100%...and you'll live to play more tomorrow.

7. jsimpher

jsimpher New Friend

Aug 10, 2008
    Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it allot.

I am currently trying to save up enough money to get a couple lessons from Jim Manley, and hopefully that would help.

My other question would be whether or not that scream trumpet DVD would be worth the money. Cause I am trying to increase my power in the upper register as well.

Again thanks for the advice.

8. wilcox96

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    My advice...(and no offense to the author(s) of the method you are talking about)....you have a chance to study with an amazing trumpet player in Jim Manley. Spend the $70 bucks on HIM...and get in-person instruction from someone who is not only very knowledgeable, but who can see/hear "you" play first hand. ...and tailor a program to what can best help "you".

You have a terrific opportunity in your back yard that many do not. Take advantage of that.

9. Charlemagne

Charlemagne New Friend

Aug 8, 2008
    Stupid question:
    What is a Double C?
    (starting at the bottom of a concert Bb scale)
    c, d, e, f, g, a, b, c // d, e, f, g, a, b, [C] <---is that it?
    or is it the next C up from there?

Stupid question 2:
    What range is the trumpet in when it's "screaming?"

10. jsimpher

jsimpher New Friend

Aug 10, 2008
    Double C would be 2 octaves above the scale. High C is the one above the Staff.