Screamers mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NESS925, Sep 30, 2010.

1. NESS925

NESS925 New Friend

Aug 22, 2010
    MARYLAND
    Can someone tell me what these are and if they are any good or have any use
    :dontknow:

2. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    There's no "Screamer's Mouthpiece"

You earn the "screamer" status. You don't buy it with the mouth piece... and if you try, you can certainly hurt yourself, so please don't try.

Other more knowledgeable posters could tell you what Arturo, Malcolm McNab, Maynard, Faddis, etc used... but in the end it's all going to vary so much and you'll learn soon that it's not about the mouth piece. :play:

And if there are people selling these, it's a gimmick.

3. NESS925

NESS925 New Friend

Aug 22, 2010
    MARYLAND
    Thanks its back to practice practice practice
    just saw ad on google and was wondering

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Just remember these business rules.

1. Make money
    2. To do #1, sell stuff
    3. To do#2, market your product
    Remember these trumpet rules

1. Practice
    2. Practice
    3. Practice
    Have a great day! :-)

5. rettepnoj

rettepnoj Fortissimo User

Feb 22, 2009
    Norway
    Arturo Sandoval use a Bach Mt Vernon 3C, not a typical screamer mouthpiece! It's the substance behind the mouthpiece that makes it a screamer piece :lol:

6. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    I know kelly sell a 'screamer' mouthpiece..... its basically a very small very shallow and very tight mouthpiece for lead playing, as said above its a status not a mouthpiece that gives you the title screamer, all a mouthpiece does is colour your sound, so a shallow mouthpiece will give you a very bright sound which some players develop to 'scream' on.....

7. NickD

NickD Forte User

First, a mouthpiece is like a shoe. Some guy that is 6'11" tall is going to wear a larger shoe than I would. It would make NO sense for me to put on a pair of his shoes and then try to run a mile in them. Is he better then I am simply becuase he wears a larger shoe? A.) NO! B.) Who cares what size shoe someone wears?!

That having been said I use screamer mouthpieces for certain types of music. I'm in the process of developing my own custom Wedge with Dave Harrison. We're just about done with my 'screamer' model. It works GREAT and also plays nicely in the lower and middle register, even though it just wails from high G to DHC and beyond. It fits me just fine and my embouchure allows me to use a shallow mouthpiece effectively. That's nice since smaller volume mouthpieces do help emphasize the upper partials.

Will this mouthpiece fit everyone? Nope. There is no such thing as "one size fits all." Could it fit others? Yes. That is always possible, and I would encourage folks to try one out when they come out. If you can find the right form/grip, it is amazing.

Now, I think the big concern is for folks hope to substitute a mouthpiece purchase for practice. As has been commented on clearly and succinctly already, that isn't going to work. However, I don't see my 'screamer' mouthpiece as a gimmick. To quote Booby Shew, "It's a tool for a job. You use the right tool for the right job. You wouldn't grab a screw driver to hammer in a nail."

I don't use my screamer piece for small groups or classical work. I can still cover the same range. However, I would never want to try to play a rip roaring lead/rock gig with my legit rig. To ME, that's tantamount to wearing hiking boots to run a sprint.

OK, FWIIW, this is MHO!

TTFN
    NIck

8. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    Ah, yes. I mean if you & Harrison, Monette, Reeves, Stork, etc came out with a "screamer" mouth piece, I would have to trust that there would be a lot of testing and research involved.

As far as what I meant by "gimmick" I meant that there's no mouth piece that will improve your range. I do, however, believe there are mouthpieces that help the higher registers sound nicer... As you said :)

9. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Nice one Nick!

...I think i may steal it.

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Nick, as usual, is correct. I like the shoe analogy. Thanks.