Screamers mouthpiece

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NESS925, Sep 30, 2010.

1. DrDave

DrDave Piano User

Nov 26, 2004
    Vancouver, BC
    On a side note, we all agree that there is no substitute for intelligent and disciplined practice when it comes to developing range and endurance. Having said that, I have an observation, and a related question.

I spend a great deal of time working one on one with players trying different mouthpieces to find the best fit for the type of playing they do. I have done this literally hundreds of times. Time and time again players report that some mouthpieces make it more or less difficult for them to play in the upper register, and in many cases players gain or lose several notes in range with different mouthpieces. For example today a player I worked with either did or did not have an E above high C depending on what mouthpiece was in the horn.

Does this suggest that the correct mouthpiece can in fact improve a player's range? Just askin'.

Cheers,
    Dave

2. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    Did the E above the high C sound nice? I still believe different mouth pieces should only be used to change how it sounds... but if it works, I guess it works. :play:

3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Dr. Dave,
    I have the opposite problem. I can't seem to get my screamer mpc to give me the range of the deep one. My sound is much better on my deep mpc -- so I play that one like 98% of the time. My screamer sits in the case, cause I get like 4 notes lower on that - than my regular piece.
    I'm betting that practice, practice, practice -- is the only sure thing to improve ones range consistently and have it sound decent, no matter what mpc is used.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    King, you are correct. Practice and only practice will develop your range.

5. ewanmains

ewanmains Piano User

Jun 9, 2009
    Kilmarnock, UK
    Hi Dave,

I would say that a difference of a major 3rd between two radically different mouthpieces isn't a huge difference. It's how the player gets there. i.e., if their range tops out at a high C, how are they getting there? If they're using excess pressure, then it would make sense that a smaller, shallower mouthpiece would put a major 3rd over the C as they're basically creating more compression in the cup through the use of pressure.

Chances are, that the highest peak of their range won't have any endurance at these levels using an excess pressure style technique.

Just my opinion based on experience BTW.

Cheers!

Ewan :-)

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    thanks for that -- I was wondering why my screamer mpc is broke -- I mean it looks to be in perfect shape -- I rarely use it -- LOL.

practice, practice, practice -- it seems such a slow process to improve, but it does improve each day, or at least every week.

7. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Hi All,

Practice etc etc etc the right thing.....

Had an enlightening lesson last week with a very patient lady who understood my problems immediately.

Arban is my measuring stick or index to monitor improvement with regards to all aspects of playing which hasn't been that progressive recently.

Henceforth:

Thrash Arban to death ie. do the difficult bits, not the easy bits that boost your ego.

Example Pages 125, 126, 127 - slurred intervals.
    Plenty more where these came from.

Her response to my ignorant questions regarding mouthpieces and hand speed where sardonically discarded when she suggested that these are mechanical components of trumpet playing that need very little training....then she moved onto the brain.....

"Houston..... we have a problem..."

Cheers

Paul.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Here ya go Paul - try this one ....
    [​IMG]

9. Paul Du Bourg

Paul Du Bourg Pianissimo User

Oct 27, 2006
    JHB
    Ted,

Looks very similar to something I ate in China recently.

Didn't help my trumpet playing though.

Cheers

Paul.

10. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    Today in trumpet studio at the University of Minnesota, I think a professor from Arkansas came and gave us a trumpet history lesson, etc, of that sort. He brought with him a lot of vintage cornets, trumpets, and mouth pieces... mostly gimmicks "back in the day" but there was this one mouth piece...

He called it the "first-ever" screaming mouth piece.

Students tried it out and they were screaming high notes. Someone even hit a double C... It sounded HORRIBLE BUT (and I don't know how) but it was allowing everybody to play really high. I tried it and I could play really high (G under double C? my highest ever "note" was the E)

So... maybe it's not a gimmick, afterall...? :dontknow: