Screamers. . . ??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by degree210, Jun 23, 2010.

1. degree210

degree210 New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    What defines a "screamer"? And can anyone become a screamer? And if so how?? It's irritating me and would love to have that cleared up, thanks!! :play:

2. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
  3. degree210

degree210 New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    Well, what I want to know is if anyone can become a screamer with enough practice? Or is it limited to the player, for example only 1 out of 7 people are screamers, thanks!

4. God's Trumeter

God's Trumeter New Friend

Jun 24, 2010
    I can say that with enough practice, you can become a screamer. I say this because in my high school band, I am one. I JUST HAD MORE TIME TO PRACTICE

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  5. The Dutch Guy

The Dutch Guy Piano User

Sep 22, 2008
    Netherlands
    I think you spelled your nickname wrong...

Focus on the regular stuff. scales, intevals ect. use Collin's lip flexibilities, and eventually range will come to you. Make sure you practise that stuff on a regular mouthpiece, and NOT on an extremely shallow one.

once you have the range you want (C4 / double high C seems like a good goal to work to), switch to a screamer/shallow mouthpiece and voila. Usually it's easier to play a lot of high on a shallow mouthpiece. I know 'Kelly' makes a screamer mouthpiece (which I have). I haven't used it live, but I have noticed that it works a LOT better if you warm up with a regular mouthpiece, and then switch to the screamer, instead of warming up on the screamer.

not sure if it helps, but that's all I know

6. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    The ability to become a screamer is largely physiological - that is the construction of the lips and mouth contribute a lot - just as a singing voice depends on the construction of the sinus cavities. Yes, just about anyone can learn to sing by diligent practice but that doesn't mean they will be in the opera. So with screamers. Not everyone can do it (me, for example). A lot of practice can get someone closer and maybe they can occasionally squeak out a high note but only a few will be able to do it in a way that anyone will want to listen to them play.

7. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    There's no magic formula. In my opinion there are some who are born with a natural way of playing that makes it easier for them to play high/loud, and others are not.

Those who are not have to work a lot harder and smarter to achieve results.

If you're dedicated enough, smart enough, and find the proper instruction/teacher, there's no reason why you too can't be a screamer...

8. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    degree210 asks:
    Q:What defines a "screamer"?
    A:Hot high notes played well. Examples of screamers are: Arturo, MF, Doc, Cat, Chase, Bud, Faddis ect.
    Q:Can anyone become a screamer?
    A: No. It takes a special skill that some are not able/willing to grasp.
    Q:And if so how??
    A: There are books and internet sites that can assist a person but literature can only serve as a roadmap. A particular skill needs to be there and a serious helping of determination to get to become a screamer. You must first know the sound in your head and go from there. Pending you play the trumpet at a particular level (approx. high school) and don't have a lot of bad habits, your first step in determining if you have the knowledge, skills and ability is to get as many screamers on your Ipod as you can and listen to them alot. Get the sound in your head.
    Then once it eats at you constantly that you need to scream, start playing simple songs up an octave (or less, ex: 3rd, 5th). I started with octaves since the fingerings for octaves are basically the same as the lower written part and octaves are easy to hear.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  9. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    There are as many different methods as there are embouchure types. When I was in high school I was told there are lead players and section players and that I would never be a lead player. I read everything I could get my hands on about embouchure and range. Once I realized it was technique and coordination and not just playing scales,slurs, tunes,peddle tones etc. in such and such order and octaves ,that I gained my upper register. I always wanted to be known as a lead player but my range developed so much that I was getting a reputation as a screamer and it took awhile to convince people that I was a lead player with a lot of range. That was 35 years ago when I was 25 and I'm still going strong. I play lead in a big band that plays big band jazz not nostalgia from the 30's and 40's but it does Buddy Rich, Basie, 60's and 70's Maynard, Tonight Show, Goodwin, Woody, etc..