Screamers. . . ??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by degree210, Jun 23, 2010.

1. degree210

degree210 New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    Sorry Markie, if any offense was taken from my comment, it was meant to sound more sarcastic than you guys took it, but Rowuk, i completely understand what you are saying, get the basics down first and then start in more specific areas along with using a practice method that works for you is the key, and I always strive to do my best in whatever playing end up doing that doesn't involve me sitting down in my room too. And I always find myself on the alter in front of the hundreds of people that go to our church, or in the occasional Jazz combo performance we get together. However, back to practice, what always stops me is the fact that i have this feeling that I am not doing the right thing for me, so one last question for you all, how do you know if a practice method works for you or is hurting you in some area of playing? :dontknow:

2. RAK

RAK Piano User

Jul 23, 2009
    Kettle Falls, Washington
    Anything is possible.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you are intelligently practicing (a good routine, enough time, etc) EVERYTHING makes you better. The key is intelligent. If you are weak on tonguing, you work on that, if you are weak on endurance, you simply play more every day, If your weakness is scales, you do more of them. The books you use are VERY secondary. You simply have to keep your ears open. The body tells you what is necessary. You have to react on your weaknesses vs what you need to perform next.

That being said, DIY trumpet requires a certain type of player to get any success at all. All of the stuff I mentioned above are covered by and halfway decent teacher anyway.

4. degree210

degree210 New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    So with working on your weaknesses can increases your overall playing abilitly in all ranges and dynamics, the goal is to become as good as you can in all areas and range will eventually come as a result of the playing correct?

5. degree210

degree210 New Friend

Nov 23, 2008
    By the way I have a great teacher who always goes over the basics and knows what I should do to get better

6. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Some times but not always,like I said before I didn't get my range until I was 25 years old.I practiced Arban's, Clarke,Colin's advanced flexibilties, long tones,etc, etc.I was principal in state university orchestra as a freshman, left school and spent 3 years as a military band's man, went back to school ,and after two years of still struggling I changed how I used my jaw and gained an octave.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    degree210 sez:
    You know what, I just think i will Im gonna prove you wrong just for saying i dont quite have the will power or the attitude.
    --------
    I sincerly wish you the best and I do hope you attain your goal.

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm sorry ... But why would anyone WANT to become a screamer? I'd think it would be grating on the ears in big doses. Usually we're just hearing a bit of it for the excitement. Can you imagine practicing this in a small room on a regular basis????

Who is the best screamer??? (the most musical one)

Turtle

There are a few female singers out there who are considered "screamers" but only a couple who sound great doing it ..... e.g., Chaka Khan.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    jimmyturtle asks:
    I'm sorry ... But why would anyone WANT to become a screamer? I'd think it would be grating on the ears in big doses. Usually we're just hearing a bit of it for the excitement. Can you imagine practicing this in a small room on a regular basis????
    -------------
    WHAT!?! While it's true (IMO) there's no such thing as a bad question. There is however such a thing as a rude question. Just because you don't understand something is no reason to belittle it. You have to go to the art, the art won't come to you.
    To pose such a question requires me to make a request, please stick with the clarinet.

10. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Ever heard of Maynard? Lots of people aspire to sound like him. Most fall short, but life is about the journey friend.

You're absolutely not required to listen to anything that you don't like/appreciate...