Screamers. . . ??

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by degree210, Jun 23, 2010.

1. willbarber

willbarber Piano User

Nov 22, 2008
    Medina, NY
    Practice outside.

2. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Willbarber,

:lol: That's good.

It might get me run out of town though .... Not for the screaming, which I can't do yet, but because of the beginner nature of my playing.

I'd have to go into the National Forest with it. Bears and Cougars are in there, I've seen them. Wildlife photographers often take firecrackers with them for protection but I think a trumpet would be far better. I doubt anything in there would bother you while you're practicing.

Turtle

3. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    It is interesting to note that Cat, Maynard and Bud Brisbois all hated the term "screamer", because that's not what they really did. The term "upper register artist" was their preference.

4. jazzyjazz

jazzyjazz New Friend

Sep 23, 2009
    Does anybody know what type of mouthpiece you have to have to play like a screamer.:dontknow: Thanks

5. sdhinote

sdhinote Pianissimo User

Feb 3, 2006
    Palm Desert
    Mouthpieces. Always a horrible discussion in these forums. I just always tell people if you find one that's comfortable and you can play from a G below the staff to a high C without much effort, stick with that one. The next octave is just a matter of training.

6. jazzyjazz

jazzyjazz New Friend

Sep 23, 2009
    Very helpful,Thanks alot, appreciated.

7. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Hi jazzyjazz,
    Your best bet is to find a mouthpiece that's comfortable for you.

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Unfortunately there's no easy answer for that. I've read that Arturo Sandoval played for many years on a regular old Bach 3C and Doc played on a 5C, so like sdhinote said, any mouthpiece could work.

With that said, in my opinion different mouthpieces can help you to get that "sound" when playing in the upper registers. I have a Marcinkiewicz E12 Vizzutti that I use when I want to play with a more bright, laser like tone. It's kind of small and shallow which is typical of "lead' mouthpieces.

If you want to do some experimenting, pick a lead player that you want to sound like and check out their equipment. It doesn't mean it will work for you, but if you look at what a lot of the lead guys are using, you may see some similarities.

9. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Absolutely, and IMHO that's what differentiates artists like those two from those who call themselves screamers is that they can PLAY in the upper register, not just scream up there.

10. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    gotta disagree with those who say it can only be done by certain people.
    I am a comeback player at 45 yrs old, with 7 yrs off. Back at it for 20 months, and I can hit a double High C almost any day (2 octaves above middle c), and sometimes 2 or 3 notes above that. Previously an E above high C was my max - YES an octave lower.

so what gives? light pressure, practice, long notes, practice, lip slurs, practice, time, practice, octave slurs, practice, and did I mention PRACTICE? and of course rest in the midst of playing.
    anyways - 2-3 hrs + a day --- and practice correctly ---oh my --- I wish I was younger, and high notes are FAST air not just lip muscles --- oh did I mention PRACTICE and building up your face muscles to hold it all together?
    hope my body holds together for a few more years -- it's starting to be fun, fun, fun