Screaming with the TCE

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by EggNoggin, Aug 13, 2010.

1. EggNoggin

EggNoggin New Friend

Aug 13, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Hi,

I am a senior in high school and have aspirations of playing lead trumpet for the Blue Devils. I can consistently hit a 4-ledger line G, but only in a timespan of about 5 minutes; afterwards, my embochure becomes very fatigued.:shhh:

I'm auditioning this winter for BD, and am torn between just focusing on my regular embochure and developing my mid to high range and trying for lead sometime later, or taking a leap of faith and learning the Tongue Controlled Embochure so that I might scream greatly (and also, of course, improve my playing ability).

I was wondering from anyone who has used it before, if screaming a high G (or maybe even a double C) at FFF with the Tongue Controlled Embochure is possible.

2. Back at it

Back at it Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2010
    Western, NY
    be a musician first, scream later when everything is substantially developed. Not a fan of the tongue embrochure. Don't let drum corps high notes be your holy grail. Allow music to be the grail. with that you will play for the rest of your life, well after you age out of BD.

3. EggNoggin

EggNoggin New Friend

Aug 13, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Directors and teachers have told and told me this, and I really have taken it to heart. Not to brag, but I think my mid-range musicality is as good as ever. The next thing I want to do is scream.

What I want to know is if screaming fortissimo extreme register is possible with the TCE. All i've ever seen or heard played with the TCE is concertos and baroque pieces.

Thank you for your feedback, in any case. :thumbsup:

4. Mamba21500

Mamba21500 Piano User

Feb 26, 2009
    I'm waiting for Rowuk to turn up and tell you that an embouchure change won't help anything, and that you should learn to play by evolution, not revolution.

Don't change anything, just practice, practice, practice. Long tones, slurs, jazz, it all helps you play high eventually. You can cheat, and get a smaller mouthpiece, maybe even changing your embouchure will help short term, but you're only cheating yourself out of a stable way of playing.

5. Back at it

Back at it Pianissimo User

Feb 12, 2010
    Western, NY
    This is going to be a whopper when Rowuk finds out! Do what ever your private teacher tells you, God hope it's a good teacher. No reason changing an embrochure, look at the greats, nothing changes! the embrochure is constantly doing minor adjustments throughout the range anyway. Practice smart, don't over play or over blow. rest as much as you play, the end!

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't think you're going to get the direct answers you're looking for. There's no reason that someone who uses TCE can't play like a "screamer". With that said, there's nothing to say that you'll become the screamer you want if you try to adopt a TCE set. Chances of it happening are even lower if you're going to try to do it yourself and not spend time with an instructor who specializes in TCE.

Change takes time. Usually three steps forward and two steps back, so it's likely that your range will suffer for a little while first.

If you've never marched DCI before and you're shooting for a spot in arguably the hottest trumpet line out there, then I recommend you put your best foot forward and don't try to squeak out notes that you don't own.

7. Pete Anderson

Pete Anderson Pianissimo User

Feb 27, 2008
    How much do you practice? If you're consistently playing high G's it is likely that you are already doing something more or less correctly, and probably just need to do some minor tweaking.

8. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    You have just received some great advice here. It is up to you whether you follow it or not. I would work on further developing my playing using the embouchure I have. High playing is not necessarily an embouchure change, but it is from efficient use of air, possibly using a different mouthpiece that would help and probably have a cost in your overall sound, and practicing the whole register. Low playing including pedal tones helps with the top end as well. Most of the folks I have heard using TCE have a very piercing bright sound. Is that really what you are looking for?

9. EggNoggin

EggNoggin New Friend

Aug 13, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I practice daily for about 3 hours. I went on a month-long hiatus at the end of June as I did not have access to a trumpet, but since mid-July, i've been practicing every day for 3 hours.

Once my chops go dead, I play a bunch of mid-range stuff (below high C)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2010
  10. EggNoggin

EggNoggin New Friend

Aug 13, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Yes. I've always been partial to brighter tones.