Señor Doc

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Manny Laureano, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Hey all,

I just finished a weekender concert set with our man Doc and, good grief, he sounds great. I just can not get over this guy after all these years and watching him ascend into the time in his life when others are dealing with a host of infirmities. Not our Doc, not by a long shot.

True he plays a few tunes less than he used to when I first got to know him 20 years ago but, damn... the guys almost 80 friggin' years old and playing like a maniac! I'm serious. Do you what an inspiration that is to guys like me just starting our 50's? It makes you feel awfully good about the future.

He jokes with the audience, he's demanding of us at rehearsals, he takes everything he does seriously and is constantly trying to find a better way to do stuff. I have a lot of respect for the guy. Oh, and dig... on top of that we had his new road manager, Tony Scodwell, playing in the section with us and also lead for the jazz charts. Yeah, fine, I could play the jazz charts okay but it wouldn't be the same as having the former lead player with Harry James and Stan Kenton, now would it? I learn a lot about swinging every time Tony plays with us. To top it off he's a nice guy! Imagine, a lead trumpeter who isn't a jerk... what a concept.

I don't know how much longer Doc will continue to do what he does but I'm going to relish every minute until he decides that riding his horses, playing with his dogs and cats, and walking with his beloved Emily require his being at home more often than playing with orchestras to adoring audiences. He truly will be impossible to replace. I hope Emily will let him hang with us a few more years. He sure sounds amazing, Doc does.

Well, anyways, I just wanted to say something nice about one of my favorite players and people in the whole wide world. If he's going to be anywhere near you I say check him out. You'll go home smiling and inspired, I promise.

ML

2. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I heard Doc a while back in Bridgeport Ct.
    It was a small theater so listening was kind of a personal experience.

I love hearing him play and hope to again.
    Your a lucky guy to get to play with him.

I didn't realize how small the theater was until I got there and had paid about thirty dollars for my ticket and then saw my friends sitting about three rows back and they paid five dollars.

3. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    manny- mo, say it isnt so.
    you dont look a day over 30 :D

4. Trumpet Hobo

Trumpet Hobo Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2005
    Minnesota
    Last time I heard and him he sounded great! :-)

5. Meldog

Meldog Pianissimo User

Nov 24, 2004
    Blaine, ME
    I'm going to see him when he comes to Rochester in May I believe. I am so glad to be back in a city that has real musicians that come through. I got to see Vizzutti last year and Doc this coming year. Can't wait!!

Adam W. Metzler

6. joshuasullins

joshuasullins Pianissimo User

Nov 9, 2005
    Silverdale, WA
    Doc is an amazing inspiration. I remember doing the night of a thousand trumpets with him (and I think about 700 or so other trumpet players, and the thing that stood out to me most about him was how long he can go without stopping. He played for like 12 hours a day for three days straight. The whole time he is playing double Gs here and there, multiple tonguing all over the place, beautiful phrasing and lyricism. It was like he just never got tired. Truly inspiring...

Joshua

7. cornetguy

cornetguy Mezzo Forte User

Sep 12, 2005
    Saint Paul, MN
    I try to get to one of the pops programs with Doc every couple years just for the motivational kick in the pants. (cant afford to see all of them) I have to second Manny, Doc is amazing and sounds amazing everytime I hear him. And hope that he keeps comming back as much as he can.

Any plans for an 80th birthday concert celebration like they did with 70?

8. Danny W

Danny W New Friend

Aug 26, 2005
    Twin Cities, MN
    Manny,
    I was at that concert on Saturday night w/ my jazz band director, Mike Hillman (you know him, don't you?) which was my first time (maybe second) seeing him live. I have heard a lot about him before, but he is indeed fantastic. His sound is very pure. I was just as impressed as the rest. How about that bell choir and MN Chorale, too? Ah man! You weren't too bad yourself, Mr. Laureano. (of course the string section was my favorite of all...yeah, i know, not exactly brass territory, but balance is the key to all great music, isn't it? :-P ).

Manny, I have a question for ya. I noticed that there were a lot of reserves in the orchestra. Most of the regulars weren't there, at least from what I've noticed. I noticed this especially at the "not so classical" concerts. Why is that? How does that kinda work? Do you ever take days off (concerts)? Thanks!

9. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Danny,

The pops orchestras are smaller because there simply isn't enough room for a 100 piece orchestra, rhythm section, guest act, and Doc. So, the organization takes the opportunity to give people time off.

I occasionally take shows off but I always play for Doc. Doug plays young persons concerts and has played the Casual Classic series this year since I've been covering them.

ML

10. wvtrumpet

wvtrumpet Pianissimo User

May 14, 2004
    West Virginia
    I caught him at the NTC in Washington last spring. It was amazing seeing him and hearing him. Another guy that is freakin amazing and still going is Clark Terry. He is like the Bud of the jazz world.....