Searching for a used trumpet; what to look for

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by akinsgre, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    When it comes to brass horns, even the one in your hands, your eyes and ears will deceive you. Only a competent tech can ascertain the good from the bad IMO.

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Look for one w/o major bell damage (like the one in your link). As plentiful as Ambassadors are, you don't have to settle for a damaged horn. Look for pics of the valves and be sure they aren't pitted and rusty (RUN!). Little orange spots could be tarnish or Red Rot so ask (tarnish can be cleaned up, red rot cannot). IMO, e-Bay is risky so look for a seller with a good rep but still beware and be sure there is a return policy. If not, it's a crap shoot. There are lot's of Ambassadors but good ones can be found! Even I have one for sale (and it's a good one)! ;-)

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If you are sending it to someone like Tom Green, you don't have to look for any of this, Tom will find it, and fix it. The problem is, with each find, the price of refurbish goes up. I know my Ambassador would cost more than the Recordings and the Committee I sent him. It was badly dented by both my brother and I (but mostly my brother), had red rot (no telling where my brother's mouth had been) and needed patching at many of the valve casing inserts. But it was still reasonable, and to me that horn had such sentimental value that I just had to get the work done. Both my brother and I are proud of this work, and I am posting a picture of the emotion on our faces when we played this "born again" Ambassador:

[​IMG]

I am the handsome one on the left... We look like our mom people say!

4. akinsgre

akinsgre Pianissimo User

Nov 16, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Everyone.. that really helps.

Makes me less nervous about buying something online.. now to just keep an eye out for the right one.