Searching for my Monette Prana mouthpiece specs

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ixsasifujeff, Aug 6, 2010.

1. ixsasifujeff

ixsasifujeff New Friend

Jul 22, 2010
    I'm wondering if anyone can help me with some Monette mouthpiece info: I recently bought a Monette Prana mouthpiece which I've been told was designed for John Chudoba. It's a dynamite mouthpiece, and even though the dealer coudn't give me the specs buying it was a no-brainer. However, every time I write to Monette to try to find out the actual specs, they say, "It was custom designed for John Chudoba...yadda,yadda,yadda... if you'd like more info, write us..." So, I write them and never hear from them again. After several attempts, including Dave Monette's Facebook page, it's getting a bit annoying! I'd just like to find out the rim, cup, backbore numbers etc. if possible. The markings on the mouthpiece say: JC V2 84 and down on the shaft is stamped 23. If anyone knows what these mean, I'd greatly appreciate it!

2. RichJ

RichJ Piano User

Jan 16, 2008
    Northern Virginia
    23 is the throat, which is fairly small for a Prana. 84 is the backbore taper. 81 is standard and they usually go from 77 to 88, with custom exceptions.

V2 means nothing to me.

3. Danbassin

Danbassin Pianissimo User

Aug 27, 2006
    Buffalo, New York
    Hi ixsasifujeff,

I'm sorry you had some trouble getting satisfactory responses from the folks at Monette - in my experience with them over the years, as I've always found them generous with their time in answering questions.

First of all, it's great that you've found a mouthpiece that you works for you. If I were to speculate why you weren't given the answer you were looking for from Monette, part of the problem could stem from the fact that Monette had been redesigning John Chudoba's mouthpiece for some time. This past winter, Monette announced several 'new' mouthpiece designs, and Chudoba's is one of these. A link to the page describing the piece is here: David G. Monette Corporation

Now, to describe what you have. JC is the client's initials (John Chudoba). V2 simply indicates that this is the second version of a design they were working on for Chudoba. A similar Monette mouthpiece indication can be found in the SLAP line of mouthpieces, where different slap designs were originally circulating, before Monette finalized his designs. This is why Wynton's popular B2S3 is labeled as such. The S3 cup for the B2S3, however, has nothing to do with other "S3" designated mouthpieces, as this was simply the third "SLAP" design for that particular rim size.

Finally, the 84 and 23 stamps refer to the backbore, and throat, respectively. If you're playing an 'LT' blank mouthpiece, I think that the 84 is their current default backbore design for lead-application, 'LT' weight mouthpieces, though it is somewhat more 'open' than their all-round standard 81 backbore.

I hope this helps.

If you are interested in going on a mouthpiece safari, despite the fact that you've already tracked down one that works great, the newly designed BLWS1 should be quite similar to the mouthpiece you're playing right now, though it represents a more recent version.

And, since I said very little about specs, so far. The BLWS1 appears to be a variant of the original Monette lead mouthpiece, the BL - which takes its start from the popular Schilke 14A-series mouthpieces. Dave says that the inner rim on the BLWS1 is closer to that of a B6, which is like a modern Bach 3C. Therefore, the mouthpiece is somewhere around a Bach 3 rim size, optimized for lead/commercial playing.

4. ixsasifujeff

ixsasifujeff New Friend

Jul 22, 2010
    Thanks for the info!

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We shouldn't forget that Daves attitude is very non-techie towards the outside world because he sees the mouthpiece as a whole, and not just rim x, cup y throat z and backbore a. What he does different is to match these up. That is why the customer does not get the choice of opening the backbore or throat - it would destroy the relationships that he built in. I guess there is a market for mouthpieces where the client decides what he thinks is best, I don't know of many with the knowledge to really know what they are doing though. The only way to keep this safe, is to make the changes so generic, that not very much can suffer. Really optimizing the various parameters can create a very special mouthpiece. I think this is where Dave Monette is and can say if you like the "sound" that he has designed in and have the relaxed approach, you have a truly superior mouthpiece. I can understand how some players do not want this "sound". Still, the approach has great merit and I know of no other brand where such synergy is designed in.

Mouthpieces built for specific clients are proprietary in specification.

Check this site out for details on what altering different parts of the mouthpiece does. Then you may understand why after he has built the mouthpiece, that is just the way it is.:
    Examination of the Influence of Different Mouthpiece Forms on the Resonance Behavior of Trumpets

You will see that if only one parameter is changed, that you do in fact destroy some built in characteristic (often intonation).

6. treble_forte

treble_forte Pianissimo User

Sep 11, 2007
    N. Ireland
    ROWUK - excellent info and link!!

Dan and Rich - thanks also for confirming what I had thought regarding the numbering system. I have just received my B15M Prana with a 17 throat. Like ROWUK says, it really helps to pay attention to Dave's approach - it is good general playing technique, but chances are (like me) you may be over working to get some notes in tune, and my experience this morning is that the B15M has corrected a couple of the intonation niggles I had - high B being very flat.

anyway - not meaning to go into a rant, but the info has helped me - the internet has done good today LOL!

all the best, enjoy the Monette!
    Mike

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Mike,

I found exactly the same when I purchased my first B6 MP - "it forced me to work so hard at relaxing" that I nearly gave it away. I so liked the sound on the initial rare occasions when I hit those sweet resonances - when all the little soundwave ducks aligned - that I perservered. I then purchased a second MP, this time matched to my Harrelson Bravura - and wow does that sing when I remember all Dave's, Jason's and Robin's (Rowuk) advice - relax, focus, breathe, play musically. (Jason Harrelson's approach is very similar to Dave Monette's body centerd technique - just not quite so well described - results the same).