Second hand trumpet: which one?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Stabby, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Stabby

Stabby New Friend

May 30, 2009
    I'm looking for a good beginners trumpet for less than €300. There's not much available in Belgium second hand. I can choose between 3 trumpets:

Conn USA
    Selmer
    Cb&Db Berkeley USA

Which one should I get?

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    As much as I love my top of the line Conn trumpet and cornet, I 'think' that I would select the Selmer. If you have the option of trying out both of these, do so, with an experienced trumpet player to listen to you on each horn and for that other trumpet player to play each of them for your listening judgement. My problem with the pictured Conn is that no model name or number is shown.

OLDLOU>>

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Why limit yourself to those 3 trumpets? FWIW I would stay away from the Berkeley. Look around more and if possible play before you pay.

4. forrest

forrest Piano User

Aug 14, 2007
    St Louis MO
    The Selmer is actually a C trumpet with an inserted extension on the tuning slide to convert it to Bb.

While its quality may be the best of the 3, it's not really designed to be a Bb instrument. You may be better off with the Conn.

5. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Good point, Schwab :thumbsup: Another good buy from the same shop seems to be: Trompet getzen 300 - Te koop op 2dehands.be What worries me it is that the seller included just one photo. But I guess that you can ask by email for another one and more info.

Though this is rather for the classified section I can offer you a NEW Schagerl Academica 420L trumpet which is IMO comparable to the getzen 300 series trumpets for 415 Euros+shipping. if interested please PM me. That's a little above your budget but worth the price. http://www.schagerl.pl/images/academica/trabki/420l.jpg this is a atock photo, but if you need a can take some pictures of the trumpet and its case.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  6. Stabby

Stabby New Friend

May 30, 2009
    Thanks for the offer, but I can't afford it :(

Regarding the other ad you posted, that's not the same seller.

7. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Flammish (or whatever language it is) is Chinese to me...I should have said rather that I found it on the same website...it is kind of Belgium classified listing, right?

8. Stabby

Stabby New Friend

May 30, 2009
    The Flemish speak Dutch, don't you learn that at school in Bulgaria? :lol:

9. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    whatever... :dontknow: