Second slide vibrations

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eyudinu, Jul 31, 2009.

1. eyudinu

eyudinu New Friend

Nov 2, 2007
    Hello. I got an used YTR-6335HS and it´s fine but sometimes second slide vibrates. I hace tried with slide grease but it comes again... I would like suggestions for solving that.
    Also, second valve is sometimes slow, it doesn´t happens if pressed without blowing, but has a "slow returning" sometimes when I´m playing and press 1 and 2 or 2 and 3, not when only 2. Surprisingly it uses to happens when I´m playng a concrete work.(!). It´s improving since I changed from Blue juice to Ultrapure, but still no perfect. I suppose it has to get accustomed to my fingers...
    Regards.

2. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Valves

1. Check if you really push the valve straight vertically. If it is not the case you need to readjust.
    2. Check if valves has plating problems - if there is areas with no plating where the raw brass can be seen, they may cause sticky or slow valves.
    3. Clean well the valve casing and the valves before applying the oil. Make sure there is no any kind of hair, lint or other residues. After cleaning leave the valves to dry on open air before applying the oil.
    4. If #2 or anything else is happening take your horn to a repairman.

Slide vibrating

1. Check if your slide is fitting well - if its loose you need help from a qualified repaiman.
    2. If you have a buddy who plays the same horn as you, maybe good to compare and see if your 2nd slide and his are identical. The slide may have been replaced with an inappropriate one. If so, you may need to purchase a new slide.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Please explain what "vibrates" means. There is nothing on that short 2nd valve to vibrate.

A slow valve can be many things - including damage to the valve or its casing. Are there any major scratches on the second valve?

4. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

The combination of a slow second valve and a percieved "vibration" of that second valve slide causes me to wonder if the horn was damaged by a minor drop onto that slide, causing a fracture of the glue used to assemble the horn. A trip to a competant Yamaha repair tech should easily clear this up.

OLDLOU>>

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    That topic reminded me of the situation I have with my Besson 8-10 trumpet.
    The instrument plays well and the second slide fit with normal friction for the 2yrs I have had the trumpet. I don't play it too often, but last year I took it to concert band, along with another of my horns to alternate with when to my surprise the second slide blew off with a pop, like a cork out of a pop-gun, for you old timers who remembers that toy. From then on in, it wouldn't stay in and continually threataned to pop out, so I had to tape it up with Masking tape to hold it on.

As far as I know there has been no damage or alteration to the slide or receptacle and the horn plays normally, as before, just looks like a band-aid on the side. The other slides have not had that phenomena. I don't plan to mess around with it to any significant degree, but thought others might have had something similar happen.:dontknow:

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Nothing a tech with an expander couldn't fix in less than 5 minutes!

7. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    With Schilkes and Yamahas sometimes the player's right-hand palm-pressure can bend the second slide, causing the valve to stick. The DIY trick is to bend the slide back into position without ruining it.

8. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

I hesitated to offer the at home fix for this, as just a wee bit of overcompensation will break the glue joint,( remember, this is a Yamaha which is glued together, not soldered ). I have made this repair MANY times, due to students laying their trumpet or cornet on its right side. This is often done a bit roughly, bending the solder or glue joint of the second valve tubing in its joint to the valve casing. Another cause is that often when a slide sticks, the home 'repairman' uses too much mechanical effort in his/her attempt to free the slide, thus, effecting that same flexure/fracture of the joint.

The way that I was taught to fix this common ailment was to use a thin flat file wrapped in a shop towel as a lever to GENTLY flex the tubing and its installed slide back into proper alignment with the valve casing. Now, I had better don my Nomex underdrawers to keep from serious injury for the flames that will be directed at me.

OLDLOU>>

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Lou, if his Yamaha is built like the student YTR1335 trumpets, then the ferrules are just decoration, and the tubes are drawn to the full length instad of being a crook and two inner slides. The ferrules are pressure fit. It sure makes removing jammed slides a pain.
    There wouldn't be any glue or solder points to break on the actual slide.