Second Trumpet stuff

Discussion in 'Orchestra / Solo / Chamber Music' started by robertwhite, Dec 11, 2004.

1. robertwhite

robertwhite Mezzo Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Dear Manny,

Sorry to hit you with two new topics in one day, but feel free to reply at your leasure.

The upcoming National Symphony audition will apparently consist mostly of sightreading from the repertoire. Just out of curiosity, if you were doing your second trumpet audition this way, what would you put on the stand for the candidates?

Thanks,
    Bob

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    dear Bob,

I'm a hesitant to answer you directly because if I'm too right it wouldn't look good and if I'm too wrong people will just get mad at me.

This is a novel approach I must say... I'll be interested to see what it garners.

I say just use common sense and I'll bet your instincts will be right on. Second trumpet auditions are just like first trumpet auditons except harder because you have to be smarter and have better technique.
    I also think you should practice everything you can get your hands on.

ML[/i]

3. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Even though I am not Manny (and would never class myself in the same league), might I offer a couple of suggestions for what you might think of ensuring are fully under your belt;

Beethoven - Violin Concerto
    Humperdinck - Overture to Hansel & Gretel (a solo part for trumpet in E - lovely)
    Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra
    Britten - Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra

More will, no doubt, occur as my brain gets into gear, but these are ones I remember from past auditions for second trumpet vacancies.

4. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Beethoven violin concerto? Isn't that the most boring trumpet part ever written? :wink:

5. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    That entrance is one of the scariest in music. It's just the two trumpets in D playing pianissimo quarter-note octave Gs. The second player is caressing low G :shock:
    Isaac Stern, in a performance, turned to the trumpets at that spot and scared the heck out of me, but we nailed those octaves :lol:
    Wilmer

6. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    My tutor always got me thinking about the parts he made me played;
    Anything that looks easy probably isn't.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.
    If it was easy, why would I bring it out for you?

My advanced students are now starting to get this idea, if it looks easy they immediately ask me why it is there - they don't trust me!

7. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Ah - forgot about that bit. :eek: