Second valve slide always stuck!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lukejackson, Jul 7, 2011.

1. lukejackson

lukejackson New Friend

Jul 3, 2011
    Does anyone know how to keep the second valve slide in good shape so it slides in and out easily? I never lay my horn on the wrong side and try to protect the slide from abuse, keep the slide moderately greased and I try to be gentile pulling it out and putting it back in; but with every horn I've come in contact with it seems there's been an inevitability that that slide will be stubborn. Any ideas?

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    vaseline -- and wiggle the slide a little when taking it out. Wipe old grease off every other week or so --then regrease

3. catello

catello Pianissimo User

Dec 14, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    I haven't tried vaseline, but I would be a little concerned about introducing vaseline so close to the valve on the little 2nd valve slide. I'd be worried about excess getting in, and about what would happen as it breaks down/mixes with valve oil and moisture.

You probably also need to be careful based on the valve oil you are using. Generally mixing synthetic and traditional oils is not a good idea. I am currently using Hetman (synthetic) valve oil and Hetman's Grease on my slides. The combo should be safe.

If the slide is tight, try using just valve oil - it probably won't be loose enough to fall out - and frequent applications of oil may keep it moving.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I have used vaseline for all of my 35 or so years of playing with no problems (ok I did quit for 7 years) but I am just saying --- just a light coating, no need to swab it on. Anyways that is what works for me. I never have had a stuck slide either - ever!!
    I stored my King Silver Flair in a closet for 7 years --no grease, no oil during that time - and it was ready the day I picked it back up. Valves a tad slow and needed oil but NO stuck slides. my original Conn from the 70's is still functional -- never a stuck slide ----

5. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Yeah, I second that young kid Kingtrumpet. Have used vasoline for 45 years on my Olds Super and other horns. No problems.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Repeated sticking is a sign that there is a mechanical problem. If Hetmans isn't "good enough" you need help. A tech is in order.

7. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I third the vaseline, and I've been using it since 1959. rowuk is also right, but the mechanical problem may be nothing more than a dirty horn.

8. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    Take the slide out, run each side individually within the reciever, if both float freely or neatly individually, but together bind, then there is an alignment issue, be it the slides the recievers or the crook, this can be fixed relatively easily but requires attention to detail to get working correctly

9. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    I 4th it.

My trumpet was stored 29 years (valves oiled with Al Cass valve oil and slides regreased about once a decade during that time) with vaselined slides and they were all still fine after that. I've recently switched to ultra-pure oil, so I changed to use their slide greases as well.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    just don't get it too easy to take out or it will pop off the horn everytime you use your second valve .. then you'll be using plumbers grease