Second valve slide always stuck!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lukejackson, Jul 7, 2011.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    What's the best way to get it out initially if it's stuck beyond hand pulling?

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Vaseline DOES NOT mix with synthetic oils - I have had Amado water keys just a little blocked with little dollops of gooey stuff that seem to be vaseline and Ultra Pure - yes, maybe I was a little liberal with the vasso (I use spray vaseline used to protect outboard motors). I have switched to Ultra Pure Slide Grease and Ultra Pure Oil.

3. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    tie some larger sized rope / cord around the tube, have someone hold the instrument with piston depressed and then give the cord a quick yank, very few times it remains stuck after this

4. Anonymousiv

Anonymousiv Pianissimo User

May 29, 2010
    Youngstown, OH
    I'll "fifth" this statement.

I've used vaseline on the brass instruments at school for a long time with no ill effect.

I have noticed, however, that if you grease all of your slides with vaseline, the slides tend to pick up more dirt.

BTW, I grease my own slides with anhydrous lanolin. Great stuff.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Clean your horn more often and use Hetmans #9. I wouldn't wiggle too much as over time this can distort the slide and it will vibrate and "hum" on lower notes. If it is a mechanical problem, take it to a excellent tech. I took my Severinsen to a "good" tech and eventually the "hum" returned. I was told the metal developed memory and returned to it's damaged state! Wish my horn could remember all the tough runs!:lol: I would not recommend vaseline because of the previously mentioned dirt attracting qualities. If it is stuck, I would use a t-shirt and twist it tight so the slide doesn't go flying through the air upon release.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Exactly. The 3 Ds - Dirt, Damage or Distortion. Follow simso's advice as far as diagnosis is concerned, but take it to a competent person for any adjustment.

7. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

The others will PAN this idea but I guarantee it will work. Shy of any slide bending or malformation (which you've mentioned hasn't happened).

1. Remove valve.

2. Place under flowing cold water from the kitchen tap.

3. With water running at mild flow run 600 grit sandpaper up and down the valve. Slowly rotate the valve in the water flow as you do this. the motion must be up and down though. No spinning of valve. That could make matters worse.

4. Dry valve, lubricate with oil and test.

5. Repeat 1 - 4 above as needed.

All three valves can be treated this way. I do mine every six months to a year.

8. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Thanks for that. I'll give it a try!

9. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ

I'm not sure you know that much about all that technical stuff, Ted. How can we trust you? ;-)

10. Myszolow

Myszolow Pianissimo User

Apr 23, 2011
    He hasn't got a problem with the valve. The problem is with the slide.