Second valve slide always stuck!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by lukejackson, Jul 7, 2011.

1. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I have used a rag... slip itthrough the little slit and give it a yank....BUT their is REAL RISK of breaking the solder joint where the U-tube is welden onto the connecting pipes. The rag doesn't have a sharp edge so there is less risk of damage to the pipe.
    I only do this if I am sure there is no other damage and the pipe is just tight.
    If you have a shop nearby , use it, especially if you aren't familiar with the horn.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  2. MTROSTER

MTROSTER Piano User

Jan 25, 2007
    Canada
    The Ultra-Pure greases, both the regular and fine, work extremely well. I think they're better than plain vaseline.:thumbsup:

3. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    Correct, if it resists a quick yank, then just yanking away can distort the chamber , the crook , twist the slide, split the seams etc. Knowing when to stop is the key.

For info on the 2nd valve slide, we always use a rope and slide hammer to start. then soak in penetrene, then heat and slide hammer again, if it still resists, then oxy / acetalyne and desolder all the seams and remove it in parts, any stuck slide componenets then get a slug soldered into them that allows us to turn the pipe sideways rather than trying to push pukl it, the sideways twist breaks even the most stubborn joins, once dis-assembled we can then clean and put it back together and re-assembled.

Again the key is knowing when to stop, or knowing ones limitations, but I always encourage people to give it a go first.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    this is kind of like a mpc question - but hey - use whatever works best for you:thumbsup:
    there is at least 5 of us "old guys" who are going to stick with vaseline.ROFL

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    KT - make that +6 old guys that will stick with vaseline on the slides - just a dab and wipe off, then reassemble. Worked for as long as I have had a horn.

I usually put some lycra type of material through the cap and give it a yank. T-shirt material works, rope is an interesting idea. Usually does not stick again once pulled and lubed.

6. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    truth is! -- how can we trust anybody on an anonymous forum??? You just have to glean what you can from this or any other forum!! --:dontknow:
    OK - some of these people don't remain anonymous -- and can be checked out --so you either have to check them out or just blindly follow their advice -- but I guess you have to figure out who's advice you can trust.:shock:

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    WAY COOL -- you see I knew you Aussies down under and I were going to find something in common -- ehhh mate? I knew you blokes were warming up to me. ........... My Mom says -- once everybody knows me -- they love me --------Of course she added -- it just takes a lifetime to get to know you SONROFL

ps. but she calls me SON because I am soooo bright!!!!!!!!!ROFL

8. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    Try this-

1. When you insert the slide into your horn, leave the smallest gap so you can put a drop of penetrating oil in it in case it won’t pull out easily.

2. If it gets stuck, the best way to pull it out is to insert half the length of a handkerchief through the slide, grasp the two ends and pop it out.

9. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Absolutely don't do this. I am a brass repair technician and do not recommend this in any way. Sand paper is NOT to be used on valves.
    Sanding your valves will cause them to stick because they will be loose in the casing and so they will be more likely to catch on the side wall. They will also leak more.

10. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    Allied makes a tool (or you can just make it yourself) that is a flat steel bar with a casing shaped half circle milled in it. You just place the bad through the 2nd slide crook and place the milled area on the casing and apply a level motion. Instant slide removal, no risk of pulling the wrong way.
    You can also lightly tap a mouthpiece shank arbor in the crook.