Secrets to Hitting High Notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Flugellover, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Just posted this on a very similar thread:

I know a lot out there will scoff, but I still build range strength by practicing charts up the octave on my bigger mouthpieces (Warburton 1MD [about to double G/A], and my Bach 1D [up to double b])...That way I have to work harder for the notes- then when I pop my Lead piece in its like a shot in the arm! Bang!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    yes, geetar, banjo, and even the trumpet -- you got to practice, or NOT -- of course if you DONT practice, I can almost guarantee that you won't get much better at it!!!!!!!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL ------------and if you do practice --------------well I think we can guarantee that you MIGHT get somewhat better ---then add in GOOD practice, and time, and more practice, and GOOD technique, and more practice and another year ------------and YES, I am sure you will get better at that instrument(s) that you practice with.. IMHO

3. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    Please tell me that you are interested in more than just high notes. Like really learning to play music on the trumpet! The above quote really says it all. Pencil exercises will not improve your range. They just make you stronger.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  4. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I know the fella who invented the Chord Buddy for guitar. Now Travis needs to invent one for trumpet! :-P

5. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    True, true, true!!! With banjo, if you don't practice, you lose you callouses and thus the ability to play for long periods of time. it is just like losing your chops, but it is much easier to get callouses back than your chops!

6. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    The secret to hitting high notes that are rich and fat and completely satisfying is to re-define what you consider a high note to be (like, down an octave or so). :dontknow:

Turtle

7. Dave Hughes

Dave Hughes Mezzo Forte User

Oct 19, 2010
    Rochester, NY
    Stop- and get into the Gladiator Lanista- then you'll know!

8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

How about an accordion-type trumpet .... where you just squeeze it shorter to get the higher octaves out? :dontknow:

Isn't the R&D Department on it??? They're probably on holiday.

Turtle

9. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    they have bagpipes for that - don't they????????? they sound a lot higher than my trumpet ROFL ROFL ROFL

10. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    It's 'cause they tune at 472 hz roughly - it's the old argument that the general chromatic musical community dealt with by focussing and settling on the 440 Hz credo. Piper's know no such rules and in fact find it extremely difficult to tune to 440 Hz - the adjustment is just not in the instrument, and they don't play a chromatic scale anyhow.