Secrets to hitting real low notes

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ccNochops, Dec 28, 2011.

1. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I was wondering if there are any secrets to hitting really low notes. Not just the average pedal tones, but REALLY low notes. Like the ones that make people turn around and say, "Who did THAT!" :roll: Oh yeah, I think a Bach 7c is a good starting mouthpiece.......:shock:

2. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    What you have to do is to try playing with only one lip. Top or botttom. Using the top is easier for most people.

3. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Why??

That is why they have trombones.

The reason to practice pedal tones is to develop control and flexibility in moving from one register to another... doing arpeggios from double pedal C up to wherever you want to go (double high C) AND BACK DOWN... all using the same setup with your chops. It can keep you from having 3 different setups... (A LOW setup belw low C, a NORMAL one from low A to G above Staff, and then a HIGH setup above G...where you have to reset and roll the lip in to play high). As you build your range UP, you want to also build it DOWN... like the way a tree grows deeper roots the taller it gets.

I use pedal tones intermingled with my range work to really get the lips flapping and the blood flowing after a strenuous session.

If you just want to make farty noises for giggles then do it the way the guy above says, top lip in and flap.

4. Joe44

Joe44 Pianissimo User

Apr 21, 2011
    Upstate Ny
    I find it helps to loosen up tight lips after having been playing for a while. And nochops, you can do this with just about any mouthpiece.

5. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    Eat at Taco Bell. This will allow you to hit the really brown notes.

6. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    A-HA!!!!! I knew it! There is a correlation between practicing low notes to be able to play high notes, that playing trumpet isn't always about how high can one play and how to succeed at that......hmmm. Maybe a new mouthpiece is in order.........:roll: Second bridge I built this week, first one with a troll under it:shock:;-)