Seeking Advice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by eisprl, Dec 10, 2004.

1. eisprl

eisprl Mezzo Piano User

Sep 26, 2004
    Halifax, NS CANADA
    Hey All,

I come seeking advice and insight:

For any of you Canadians our there, is Humber College in Toonto worth taking a look at once I finish my degree? My degree is not performance oriented but close enough. I will have finished studying classical studies next year and I would like to try my hand at Jazz. I am looking to be one of those guys who plays it all! Right now I am in everything you can imagine, jazz bands, combos, brass quintets, brass choirs, orchestras, symphonic bands, military bands. I really would like to try some commerciaal playing and I was wondering if Humber could offer that.

Peace,
    Eric S.

2. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    I did two years of classical at U of T and just switched over to jazz at Humber. I have to run now but I'll give a longer post later.

3. trumpetpimp

trumpetpimp Piano User

Dec 6, 2003
    Toronto
    Okay, let's see what I can tell you.

I did the classical thing at University of Toronto for two years and just switched over to jazz at Humber College this year. There really is a wide range of players at the school at all stages of development. There are people that don't really have their jazz chops together but play their instrument pretty well and there are people that play great jazz but are still struggling(aren't we all?) with fundamentals...trumpet stuff.

There a lots of ensembles to play in and you're placed according to your abilities. I'm playing in the brass ensemble and two combos. Both combos have 4 piece rhythm section and a singer, one with 3 horns, the other with 6. There are at least 3 big bands but I'm not assigned to any of them. I think there's about 370 kids in the program altogether.

You can get a degree there but I suspect you'll be more interested in getting the diploma since you'll already have earned a degree.

Humber seems to be one of those places where you really get out of it what you put into it. I see some people there and wonder why they're taking music and some people that play really brilliantly and might just a shot at a decent career.

You'll probably breeze through theory and most of the classes where you're working on "trumpet stuff" will be really easy for you but the jazz is really good. I would recomend having lessons with Steve Crowe and Brian O'Kane before showing up next year. I found there was so much stuff I wish I'd practiced before coming to the school. Off the top of my head I'd suggest working on major scales(modes, patterns, thirds, triads, seventh chords, etc. you DON'T know them as well as you could), minor harmonic scales, altered and diminished scales. And start transcribing now!

Let me know if you have any other questions.