Seeking feedback on Impacts of using Nikolas 2105 Gold-tint Spray Lacquer

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ChuckTrumpetSounding, Jan 18, 2012.

1. ChuckTrumpetSounding

ChuckTrumpetSounding Pianissimo User

Dec 13, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    I saw a few older forums on the use of Nikolas 2105 Gold-tint Spray lacquer. Most of the comments were how good the results looked, but I would like to get feedback from the people who have used the spray lacquer and get insight into opinions of 1. "How was the playability and sound impacted?" and 2. "How long did the lacquer stay intact on the trumpet?"

Curious, I am considering using the process on my C trumpet and a Bb Trumpet which both are in raw brass currently.

Thanks for any insights to your experiences with Nikolas 2105 Gold-tint Spray Lacquer.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    My experience is that the sound doesn't change, but if the horn is not properly prepped it flakes off really easy. I did not spray or prep myself.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Does this mean you flake? May I recommend a hydrating lotion, bid. To the object holding the horn, not the horn itself, just to clarify.

4. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Clean the horn with a solvent first to remove any oils. Acetone and/or Methyl Ethyl Ketone ( MEK ). Hang the horn in dust free area with bell tilted up slightly ( lacquer tends to "run" and accumilate in the bell rim area otherwise ). Spray lacquer sparingly from 12" or more from target.

5. ChuckTrumpetSounding

Dec 13, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    Mr. Cox, Wow...you have sure sold a lot of vintage trumpets in your signature line.

What is your insight to how the playability and sound are impacted if any from using the Nikolas 2105 Gold-tint spray? Does it make it less responsive?

Please post some pictures of some of your lacquer work with the Nikolas 2105. I am interested in seeing them if you have some.

6. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Other Chuck, I stopped adding the horns that I've sold a while back. I restore/sell about 25 to 30 a year. I sold an MF Holton yesterday on eBay. As far as the lacquer goes, I doubt that you can tell that much difference in the sound. Lacquer does add a couple of thousandths of an inch to the brass so it would deaden the sound slightly if anything. Renold Schilke tested lacquer vs no lacquer ( silver plated ). He concluded that plating was the way to go with trumpets. Plating adds a fraction of a thousandth of an inch of thickness ( but of silver metal and not sound deadening material ). I've done a couple of trumpets....but sold them long ago. Sorry no pictures of them. I strip almost every horn and now just polymer wax them with chrome polish. It's not cost effective to take the time to relacquer. Nikolas is the best though. Did you get the solvent vehicle version that drys at room temp ?

7. ChuckTrumpetSounding

Dec 13, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks Mr. Cox! I'm not for certian, but I think it does dry in room temperature in 30 minutes and then takes another 8 hours to cure completely.

This is what I got: NIKOLAS 2105 SPRAY LACQUER - GOLD TINT

It ended up being about $25 after shipping...shipping cost as much as the product.

Is Brasso Polishing and then washing the trumpet in laundry detergent sufficient to get all the oils off the trumpet?

I'm a bit worried about using acetone due to the toxicity of it...How do you apply the acetone...(I have completely no experience dealing with acetone).

8. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Chuck,
    Definately Polish it. I use Brasso. You can dip in water with a little detergent. RINSE COMPLETELY. Then dry with lint free cloth. Lacquer might do well after that process. I would spray acetone from an aerosol spray can or pump spray liquid acetone. Acetone isn't a bad actor really. It IS flammable though. The Nikolas probably has MEK in it as a quick drying agent.

9. ChuckTrumpetSounding

Dec 13, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    Mr. Cox,
    After you spray on the acetone, do you just let it sit and dry? Or do you wipe it off with a lint free cloth after applying it? What brand of acetone spray do you use, or does it not matter?
    ~Chuck

10. ChuckTrumpetSounding

Dec 13, 2009
    Indianapolis, IN
    Okay, I was able to do two of my raw brass trumpets at the same time.

One is my C trumpet and the other a Bb, both Yamaha brand.

It took longer than I expected because I had waited 30 minutes between coats and use a heating device to help secure the coating.
    Vowtool recommended only waiting two minutes between coats, and then waiting 24 or more hours for it to cure completely, but they also said the Nikolas 2105 is only made for spot touch ups and not for the entire trumpet.

Let me know what you think.

Attached with this post if five pictures of the YTR-6335H Bb Trumpet.