Seeking Information About Holton Trumpets Made By LeBlanc

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by Indian, Apr 10, 2008.

1. Indian

Indian Piano User

Jul 30, 2006
    South East
    Does anyone have any history, serial, model number type information about Holton Trumpets that were made in France by LeBlanc? I have acquired a very nicely made Holton trumpet with a mechanical third valve trigger and terrific valves. I can not seem to find much information about these trumpets. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Much !!!

2. screamingmorris

screamingmorris Mezzo Forte User

Apr 4, 2007
    I have seen a few such instruments that appeared to be top quality, the eBay sellers claiming that they were probably made in the 1960's.
    The model numbers were often T3xx or C3xx, while most other Holtons had 1xx for professional models and 6xx for student models.
    Leblanc company was no help at all in getting info.

- Morris

3. Indian

Indian Piano User

Jul 30, 2006
    South East
    Thanks, I went to LeBlanc and Holton and could not find much information. I have one of these horns and it has a serial number of 27,XXX. It, for all but the engraving, looks exactly like a high end LeBlanc. Great valves, a mechanical third valve trigger (like some first valve triggers), machined water keyes, two piece third valve slide, European style valve buttons, etc. It plays well and has a bright tone in the higher register and some what darker tone down low. Not to knock Holtons but this horn looks to be a little higher quality. It kind of reminds me of a Selmer K-Modified with a little extra trim.

I tried the link to the HoltonLoyalist but Holton Loyalist seems to be down right now, I'll try later. Thanks again.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  4. screamingmorris

Apr 4, 2007
    What model number is stamped on your instrument?

Also, I never found any info about such instruments at Holton Loyalist.

- Morris

5. Indian

Indian Piano User

Jul 30, 2006
    South East
    No model number. Just "Holton - Elkhorn Wisc. USA" on the bell, "34 35 36" on the bottom of the valves and "MADE IN FRANCE" on the valve body. There is no model number on the lead pipe, bell or valves that I can find. I had played one of these horns while in college in the 70s and was impressed. At that time my everyday player was an older Conn 38B Connstellation. I thought they were comparable in playability and quality. The style of this horn is late 50s to 60s. It has the thicker LeBlanc style water keys not the cheaper stamped type. The 3rd valve trigger pieces are all thicker material and look to be hand fitted and soldered. The valve buttons are MOP but very thin in the european style similar to a Selmer of the 40s era but appear top be original to the horn. The MOP is recessed into the button a little.

It was my understanding that when LeBlanc acquired Holton for a while they sold some nicer LeBlanc horns for less than normal to popularize Holtons offerings while promoting the LeBlanc name as well.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  6. screamingmorris

Apr 4, 2007
    LeBlanc bought Holton in 1964 so that Holton became a subsidiary of LeBlanc.
    Holton Loyalist.com - History

- Morris

7. Indian

Indian Piano User

Jul 30, 2006
    South East
    Your right "scrreamingmorris" I just put the wrong name in front. What I meant was when LeBlanc acquired Holton they sold some nice LeBlanc trumpets under the Holton label to attract advanced players to the Holton brand to compete in schools and colleges.

I'll go back and correct my post above.

8. KRax!

KRax! Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2008
    Sweden
    Most Leblanc horns were made by Courtois and with regard to your description this is one of them.

From what I understand Leblanc never had any brasswind production of their own. All their brasswinds were stencils, stencils mainly made by Courtois. And I believe a Courtois with a serial number of 27XXX ought to have been made in the 70's, but it is just a pure guess.

I have one Leblanc trumpet with serial 9XXX, have had another Leblanc trumpet with serial 17XXX and a Courtois trumpet with serial around 60 000 (do not remember exactly) and from look and a few details I would put them on around 1960, around 1970 (most probably just before) and sometime during the 80's.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  9. Indian

Indian Piano User

Jul 30, 2006
    South East
    Thanks Much KRax !!!

I think you are right on. The condition and styling of the horn in question looks to be from the 60s or 70s era. I did not realize that LeBlanc did not make their brass winds in house. From High school in the sixties I remember them being nice but pricy horns. I ended up with a Connstellation 38B. I am bringing the Holton back to life, new springs, corks, cleaning, etc. Fortunately no major dents or scratches. I look forward to playing it for a while. Give the old SilverTone Liberty a rest. Thanks Again !!!