Seeking Suggestions for Cleaning/Protecting Silver Plated Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jsmahnke, Sep 2, 2009.

1. jsmahnke

jsmahnke New Friend

Aug 14, 2009
    It's been recommended that I use Rejex on my silver plated trumpet as protection against tarnish and wear. Thoughts? I'm seeking recommendations. What's the best care for silver plating?

I hold my trumpet with a cloth with I practice and always wipe it down after each rehearsal/performance. Do you recommend using a cleaner/polish/protectant like Rejex or some other substance?

(Is there a prior post you can point me to? Does this site have a search capability?)

Thanks!

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Yes there are many posts here related to this topic. And, there is a search function at both the thread level and the forum level (look at the task bars above this post - one says "Search this Thread " and the one above that just says "Search". I think if you go to the forum-level search and type in "silver" and click on the 'show threads' button, you should find something. I have not played much with options for the search so I think it basically searches for all works in the text line and this lists over 500 threads but I don't know how to narrow the search any better.

Anyway, I care for my silver-plated trumpet exactly as you described. I am not familiar with Rejex so I can't comment on it. I have used Tarn-X as it does not remove the silver but since my trumpet is new, it is difficult to assess the results so far.

If you find something astounding in the search, post it here so we can all try it.

Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  3. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Yes, this forum has search capability -- it's the SEARCH word on the line which starts with User CP on the very left edge.

The best protection is simply to wash your hands before playing and gently wipe the trumpet down with a very soft cloth (NOT a cloth with silver polish embedded in it) and don't leave the horn out in the air where it can tarnish.

I don't know about Rejex so I can't speak about it, but I would be wary about putting a coating on the trumpet to try to protect it.

It's the nature of silver instruments that they tarnish -- if you use any polish at all use a liquid (not a paste) and apply it wet and immediately wipe it off.

You can also do a lot with plain water on a soft cloth before even working with polish, so if you used a damp cloth to keep the horn as clean as possible you can minimize the need to to polish.

4. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Yes, you do need to polish the instrument from time to time. There are many ways of doing this and I have never heard of Rejex. I use Hagerty Silversmiths Polish which works very well and leaves a protective coating as well. I have also heard that Tarn-X works very well.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I use NO silver polish. I disassemble the horn, put it in a sink with hot salt water and a big piece of aluminum foil. The aluminum gets the oxygen from the silver oxide tarnish, leaving a shiny horn without removing material. EVERY POLISH grinds off a bit of silver. My method solves the problem without removing any material. High School chemistry can be your best friend!

6. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    rowuk,

What amount of salt is added to the hot water?

Thanks and best wishes,

Lloyd

7. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Yes, how much salt, and how hot is the water? Boiling? Full-hot from the tap? Mostly hot with a bit of cold mixed in?

Great suggestion -- I can't wait to try it!

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    And this from a previous post (which you would have found using the search function - I did):

[quote/] The Sodium Bi-Carbonate (called bi-carb soda, or sometimes just carb soda) trick is very good for cleaning tarnish off silverplated trumpets - general cleaning uses simple soapy water (good quality hand dishwashing liquid - not machine detergents, they are too harsh)

To one pint of hot water (hot out of the hot tap will do) add 1 tablespoon of bi-carb soda and one teaspoon of non iodised cooking salt - stir until dissolved.

Place a large sheet of aluminium foil to cover the bottom of a plastic container, place your silverplated trumpet onto the foil and pour the solution over the trumpet until the trumpet is completely covered - obviously you will need to mix sufficient solution to do this based on the formula. The trumpet needs to touch the foil (you can loosely wrap the trumpet in the foil).

This is not suitable for lacquered instruments.

Leave the trumpet, sans valves, in the solution for 30 mins or so and check how the tarnish is coming off (this WILL NOT remove silverplate just the tarnish) - remove, rinse very thoroughly and polish as necessary.[/quote]

9. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    The key phrase here is "sufficient solution to do this". Obviously, one pint of anything (except, maybe, Australian beer) is not enough to completely cover a trumpet. This recipe needs to be scaled up to the size of the container being used. I use a plastic storage bin which is big enough to hold the trumpet laying down. It requires about 6 gallons of water to completely cover the trumpet. So, this takes about one cup of bicarbonate and one cup of salt. The water is just warm to the touch. That seems to work.

As mentioned, this should not be done on lacquered brass - unless the intent is to also remove the lacquer. For badly corroded and tarnished brass (that has turned pink), the worn lacquer needs to come off so it is bare brass along with having tarnish removed. In these cases, use boiling water (it takes a few large pots on the stove top to do this) and that will remove the lacquer and make the reaction more vigorous. Also, bicarbonate of soda is not as good on brass. Sodium carbonate is better but not commonly found in the U.S. so I use a laundry pre-wash product (such as Biz) instead. It works wonders.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  10. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    What would happen if applied to gold or nickel?