Seeking Suggestions for Cleaning/Protecting Silver Plated Trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jsmahnke, Sep 2, 2009.

1. muchan

muchan New Friend

Jul 18, 2009
    I'm not in U.S. but have read (in photography literature) that sodium carbonate is commonly availlable as PH-minus, for reduce the PH of the private pools.

2. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Hey, here is another method I spotted on line. I'm not suggesting anyone try it, but if someone has an old horn and can take whatever safety precautions, it might be interesting to know if it works. Heck, you could set up a business cleaning horns for the school

Pasting from article:

Another way to clean silver artifacts and hammered coins is with a car battery charger [link is to product info at Amazon]. Put a teaspoon of washing soda in a small plastic container and fill with about an inch of boiling water. Put a stainless steel spoon in the red positive clip, and immerse it in the solution. Put the item to be cleaned into the black negative clip, and immerse it in the solution, about an inch and a half away from the spoon. Switch the battery charger on and watch it bubble around the item, lifting the contamination off the silver. If you slide the item you are cleaning closer to the spoon you will notice an increase in activity in the cleaning process. If you move the item away you will see a decrease. It is important to know and use this when cleaning very delicate items.

You only need to leave items being cleaned in the solution for 2 minutes at the most. Switch off the charger and remove the item from the solution. Clean with warm soapy water using a soft toothbrush and dry off. For a final polish, dip artifacts in silver dip for 1 minute, wash in warm soapy water and dry off. Polish with a soft cloth. DO NOT dip silver coins in silver dip, or polish them.

Steve
    Olds SUper 1946
    Olds SUper 1962
    Bach Strad 1970
    Bach Strad 1967

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    This is exactly what the solution is doing with the al foil.

Sodium Carbonate has some synonyms - here are some alternative names and uses from a Material Safety Data Sheet:

SYNONYMS:
    Na-H-CO3, C-H-O3.Na, "BAKING SODA", "BICARBONATE OF SODA", "CARBONIC ACID, MONOSODIUM SALT", "MONOSODIUM CARBONATE", "SODIUM ACID CARBONATE", "SODIUM HYDROGEN CARBONATE", "SODA MINT", "FOOD ADDITIVE 500", DELTREX, "SWIFT BRYBICARB", "DAVID CRAIG SODIUM BICARBONATE"

PRODUCT USE:
    MANUFACTURE OF MANY SODIUM SALTS; SOURCE OF CARBON DIOXIDE; COMPONENT OF DRY POWDER FIRE EXTINGUISHERS, AND ALSO SODA-ACID EXTINGUISHERS. FOOD ADDITIVE 500; INGREDIENT OF BAKING POWDER, EFFERVESCENT SALINES AND BEVERAGES. A MILD ALKALI, USED MEDICINALLY IN LOW DOSES IN ANTACID MIXES. ALSO AVAILABLE AS AN
    INTRAVENOUS INFUSION. AVAILABLE AS TECHNICAL, PURE, FOOD AND BP GRADES.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  4. muchan

muchan New Friend

Jul 18, 2009
    Sodium Carbonate (Na2CO3) and Sodium Bicarbonate (NaHCO3) are (related but) different material. Solution of Carbonate is slightly more stronger base/alcali. Washing Soda is former.
    Here I can buy Sodium Carbonate or Potassium Carbonate very cheaply sold for washing the wooden barrel for making wine.

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Ted, you are right about the foil doing the same thing as the battery. The foil and the instrument are the electrodes of a "mini-battery" with the baking soda/salt (or whatever) being the electrolyte. Since the aluminum foil is very reactive, it uses the low voltage created in the water to pull the sulfur or oxygen ions off of the tarnish and turn it back into the base metal (brass or silver or copper).

6. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Again, how these cleaning methods affect gold plating? Anyone?

7. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Well, I think the question about gold is a bit more complex. First, why are you interested in doing it with gold? Do you have a trumpet which is silver with gold highlights and want to know if there will be an adverse effect? If so, you need to know exactly what the alloy is that was used for the highlights. If it is really 24K gold (I suspect it is not) then there should be no effect since gold is very non-reactive. But, if it is something else, I would check before trying it. Do you know where the plating work was done? They could probably tell you.

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I have a silver plated mouthpiece with a gold rim. It is made By Breslmair, and although it is 3 pieces screw-on mp the cup-rim screw seems to be blocked (I did not check it for quite a while and that's the result - not a tragedy though - I do not play around with switching parts), as I cannot unscrew it (the throat screw is still working). This is the real reason to ask. My spada are also gold leadpipes, tuning slides and bell with silver plated valve clusters, but this is not a problem as these are lego type trumpets (I can demount everything including leadpipes, which leaves me the valve clusters to clean separately).