Seeking teacher in S. England

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by deakincaro, Nov 9, 2010.

1. deakincaro

deakincaro New Friend

Sep 12, 2010
    Brussels
    After over 20 years of not playing, I have decided to give trumpet a go again. I began playing again in Sep and I have improved dramatically since then as I have been able to practise a couple of hours a day. I’m also playing with a local amateur orchestra which helps with motivating me to practise! I just need a bit of guidance and structure to help me to improve my playing.

I originally studied trumpet performance at McGill University in Montreal, Quebec but gave it all up for various reasons. I am currently living in Gloucestershire, UK but would be willing to travel once a month if it’s not too far away (as in a train journey). Any suggestions??

Many thanks!

C

2. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Hello, deakincaro - Welcome to Trumpetmaster. I see that you are a comeback player as many of us here are. We are happy to have you back in the fold.

As far as a teacher in the UK is concerned, I am not much help. Hopefully someone else can come along with ideas. In the meantime, are there any universities near you? Often instructors, or even music majors, will be a good source of help to get you started again.

I joined a community band and found that some of the players are also willing to give helps and tips. There are a lot of threads here with links to materials that can provide good self-study programs as well. It sounds like you have the background to figure out some of this by looking at some of the guides. Of course, the good old Arban book is always there if nothing else is available.

Good luck.

3. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    The simplest solution is to get skype. I just did. It is super cheap and easy to do. I am a techno-dope. Then, you can take on line lesson from anyone you want. I see many great players offer them.

DK

4. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    deakincaro,

Im currently based in Bath in my 2nd year at Bath Spa Uni and living there term time and am currently doing a teaching module and after christmas will be teaching a member of the class as part of the module. if your willing to come down to bath either once a week, fortnightly, once a month or whatever im happy to give you some cheep lessons, what standard are you? are you interested in classical or jazz? or a bit of both?

cheers

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    reedy - it appears that our comebacker may have stuck his toe in the water and then pulled back. I don't see any other posts. You have made a very generous offer to him but you may have to send him a PM to get his attention.

6. reedy

reedy Piano User

Jul 31, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK
    yeah will do :)

7. deakincaro

deakincaro New Friend

Sep 12, 2010
    Brussels
    Hi thanks for the info everyone. Toes are still in the water, just got busy and wasn’t able to get on to respond right away! BTW...’comebacker’ is a she. :-)

Reedy, I received your PM message and will respond. Many thanks!

8. deakincaro

deakincaro New Friend

Sep 12, 2010
    Brussels
    Just an update on seeking a teacher in UK. I took Dark Knight's advice and am now taking lessons online from the convenience of my own home! For anyone who is interested, you can check out this link: Online Trumpet Lessons | Purtle.com

I would have never thought of taking lessons this way, but it works for me.

9. Dark Knight

Dark Knight Pianissimo User

Apr 7, 2010
    Canada
    Excellent! I have been to the website. So you will start learning based on the teachings of Claude Gordon. You can't go wrong. Please keep all of updated.

Dark Knight

10. deakincaro

deakincaro New Friend

Sep 12, 2010
    Brussels
    Yes, my very first teacher, Riel Matthieu who has sadly passed away, used the Claude Gordon method so I was already familiar and still had my books from the '80s. Seems to be working for me now as well.

Thanks for the input and support!