Seeking tips for sax player wanting to play trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by simso, Jan 21, 2010.

1. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    Okay folks, firsltly, I repair instruments for a living,

Woodwind is my specialty, but I also do brass work which seems to be increasing daily "rapidly"

I can play sax, oboe, clarinet, flute bassoon and all variations of each

But I cannot play brass. I have persisted with online tutorials and you tube etc for almost a year now with no success, I still struggle to generate a note

Last week I bit the bullet and went and started to get private lessons, but I still even after private lessons cannot blow a single note properly, my teacher said it will simply come, now that was last week and Ive been practising every day

My question is as follows, online videos show that we shape our face with the Mmm frown and then buzz our lips and place the mpc on and wolla theres the sound, my teacher saids we dont buzz our lips before hand simply Mmm frown and then breathe out through the stomach and the note will occur. Well as you can guess nothing is occuring my next lesson is tommorrow and after a week I still cannot generate a single tone.

Any hints ideas guides please

2. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    If only to get the feel of producing a buzz, my suggestion would be to start on a lower instrument. I spent my younger years playing low brass and I honestly think that tone production is easier on a larger mouthpiece.

Your teacher's comments on buzzing will probably spark some controversy.

Speaking of buzzing, can you buzz your lips without a mouthpiece?

3. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    Yeh I can pull an Mmm frown and buzz away, but I cannot raise or lower the pitch whilst buzzing, eg like the bumble bee

4. mush-mouth

mush-mouth Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  5. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    Cool, thanks for that, watched it and tried

The horse lips are no problems but I can feel tension around my rear molars like you mention, trying to loosen up a bit more. After doing a few horse lips was surprised when I just couldnt do them again, clealy lack of strength in that embochure. Im off to grab the trumpet now and have another trial out.

Thanks

6. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    Dang, just grabbed the trumpet and did the lips thing like you said, did the horse lips and then drew them back and a bit tighter, and whoooohooo hit a C, so thought I would quickly say thanks and be back a bit later, Im off to practice:thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  7. mush-mouth

mush-mouth Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2009
    Good luck, simso!

8. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    Mate I really do appreciate that, after getting my first lesson and not really managing to hold a note and then being told keep trying by my teacher and youll get there, and a week later still not getting it I was really down in the dumps.

After your short little tutorial I can hit C no problems and hold it as a long tone without it wavering too much. I stopped for a while and then went back and it all works well, I do the horse lips thing a few times before I start blowing and it seems to help as well.

One thing I did notice is that if I initiate a C and then try to ""slur"" to the D I find I kill the tone compleltey and its just muffled. Im guessing this is becuase Im transitioning the piston and disrupting the flow, however if I try to initiate say a D to start with I struggle to generate a note all together, that is its pretty muffled, is this lack of breath support or embochure strength etc, Im guessing this is it.

Thanks for the vid link really really appreciated

9. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I went (almost) crazy trying to get a young, good intentioned student to play their first note. Imagine Moms stalking the hallways, counting (in my case Euro) dollars, over a really nice kid who couldn't get a tone out of the trumpet. Although I could swear in fluent German, I didn't quite have the chops to swear in a genteel manner, and was forced to ask the mother-in-question to wait. She did, and he caught up with and surpassed his collegues within a month.

If you have some good help, don't give up until the miracle has happpened.

Good luck!

10. simso

simso Pianissimo User

Jul 1, 2009
    Australia, Perth
    Well two weeks of lessons have gone bye since last post and my instructor is getting frustrated I think

.I can blow a C now relatively well and hold it,but it sounds to me when I play it that it warbles but I used a recorder and I couldnt here the same problem, so I might be feeling my lip vibration.

However I still cannot overblow it into a G and this seems to be frustrating me and the instructor, also if I note change from a C to say C# or a D then the whole sound goes muffled and I cannot generate a clean note, any ideas on what I can do to pick the needed habits up.